Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
04-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #1

handmade xmas bed

another one of my hand sewing excursions came up with this for the ferrets...

testing it out...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #2

Re: handmade xmas bed

Tink, they are amazing beds, you definitely should think of selling your crafts.

The boys have given it their full approval too....what better advert can you get than that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
04-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #3

That is brilliant Tink, you are clever...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #4

Excellent - they do look cosy!

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

thanks, i was pretty slow doing it as my hands kept cramping and i can't afford a machine yet.
one kink i haven't worked out and if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong...the bottom puffs out a bit..here's a pic of my error, anyone know how i can do it better next time?

i'm thinking when i sewed bottom to top i need to pull more fabric into the stitches maybe?

it was kinda hard for me to maneuver and manipulate the fabric with the foam batting being so thick..that and i don't know if it just does that when you hand stitch it or maybe it'll flatten once it is in the wash?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

Can't offer any answers to that problem, Tink; I can just about manage sewing on a button or repairing a torn seam! Hope someone here will have an answer.

I'm in awe at your talent; that's an amazing bed, and obviously well liked! Do you have any consignment stores near where you could sell some of your super creations...and make some money toward purchase of a sewing machine? If Leia would sleep in a bed I'd buy one in a moment!

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #7

there is a consignment pet store that just opened..i was thinking of doing that to see if anyone liked them but i only have enough batting for projects for my own kids so i'd have to invest in more of that, though i can't honestly imagine anyone buying anything i've made, you're too kind!
my friend picked up some cow spot fabric that is furry and looks like a cow that i think is very cute and i'm thinking of making a bed for tigger with it!
the first bed i made that didn't turn out so well has been inherited by the senior cats, they like it but i thought they should have two beds so they don't have to share
do you think tigger will be offended if he is to sleep in a bed that looks like a cow? (he is rather heavy)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #8

Amazing Tink! Sorry I have no skill at sewing, so can't offer any suggestions to your problem.

I am sure that Tigger will not be offended at all by being offered a bed that has a cow pattern!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
there is a consignment pet store that just opened..i was thinking of doing that to see if anyone liked them but i only have enough batting for projects for my own kids so i'd have to invest in more of that, though i can't honestly imagine anyone buying anything i've made, you're too kind!
my friend picked up some cow spot fabric that is furry and looks like a cow that i think is very cute and i'm thinking of making a bed for tigger with it!
the first bed i made that didn't turn out so well has been inherited by the senior cats, they like it but i thought they should have two beds so they don't have to share
do you think tigger will be offended if he is to sleep in a bed that looks like a cow? (he is rather heavy)
I'm not bring kind, just speaking the truth; they're lovely, as all of your imaginative creations are. Why not give it a shot when you've made some more?

Tigger probably doesn't know what a cow is, bless him; sure he'd be delighted to have a new bed of his very own.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #10

I would rather buy a hand-crafted but slightly flawed pet bed than a perfect mass-produced one. I suspect many others would too. If you market it correctly I think you could be onto a winner (there are masses of unique opportunities that you could exploit . . . but I'm too tired to think of them at the moment).

Don't do yourself down. You seem to have a real aptitude for this - if you enjoy doing such crafts then why not combine what you love doing into something that helps earn you a living!!