Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
21-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #1

Animal first-aid?

Are there first-aid courses for pet-owners? Seems like such a useful skill to have. I've found a few web-sites with (some of the) cat how-to:s, but it's not the same as having a trained person to ask stupid questions of. I'll try to remember to ask the vet next time I'm there, but that won't be until late Autumn (touch wood).

There doesn't seem to be any rescue-centres anywhere near Aberdeen, or I would ask to be taught a few things in exchange for volunteering to do cage mucking-out on a regular basis.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby BSH and 1 Black and White B
08-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #2

Re: Animal first-aid?

Hi,
This isnt a course but I find it really useful information.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby BSH and 1 Black and White B
08-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #3

sorry the link did not appear.
www.purina.co.uk
If you scroll down there is a first aid section. Dont know if that helps.

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

I'd found that one, but thanks. I take it that's a no for the course, then. Shame. : /

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #5

A lot of human first aid can be applied to animals - e.g. for things like stopping bleeding, dealing with injuries, etc. You can get one-day emergency first aid courses fairly cheaply - you may even be able to get your work to pay for it!

That will help you to put some of your reading into practice on a different species, i.e. cats!

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #6

Good advice, but I'm already the company first-aider. Maybe I can try my stupid questions on the instructor for the refresher-course in October. And I've already practiced my bandaging on Rover.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Good advice, but I'm already the company first-aider. Maybe I can try my stupid questions on the instructor for the refresher-course in October. And I've already practiced my bandaging on Rover.
Mouth to mouth next then Hreow?

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #8

Don't think either of us would fancy it. But it would give my face-bandaging-skills a good work-out before the refresher, I suppose.
I've handed out a dozen plasters at work in three years. They refuse to do anything more interesting than paper-cuts. Boring, unhelpful lot!

Catsey Junior

08-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #9

what questions do you have, am a fully compliant first aider and experienced in a range of animal first aid too.

might be able to help

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #10

Well, just off the top of my head:
What would you put into a travel first-aid kit? Bandages - obviously, imagine plasters would be useless, What sort of disinfectant? Would human finger-stalls be good for legs? For keeping gauze/cotton etc in place, or protect, perhaps... I imagine you would leave the paw out. Vinegar/bicarbonate for stings? Bottled water I always have. Tweezers and scissors are useful. Razor? Would you ever need to shave a bit of fur off as a first-aid measure? Wouldn't try it on wounds, but perhaps if there is something toxic on the coat that you would want to get rid of?
What would you do about a paw with a cut between the toes? Blob of cotton on the wound and as separator and bandage the whole thing??
Eye injury - People you can talk to - what do you do (if anything) with a cat, apart from get them to the vets as fast as you can?

Still have both ears? Will to live??

Am really curious about the things I wouldn't think of in an emergency - basic stuff would be the same, I imagine, but ... I don't know... aspirin is toxic to cats, but you would have few qualms giving it to a human (heart!) (Ok, not allowed to give *any* drugs - put somewhere where the afflicted person can medicate themselves. ) What else would I do unthinkingly that would be wrong? What would I miss that would be silly on a person, but useful for the cat? Scruffing, as an example, I suppose... Weak one. : /
Thus the idea of a course.