Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1

So how did you start

So how did you start showing?
What made you want to?
And how did you start?

Just wondering.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #2

Re: So how did you start

Thought I'd bump this up, Jac, as I'm curious also. I had friends who showed; was always interesting to go with them, but a bit too stressful for me. My pedigrees weren't show quality, so I was never tempted...get the impression it's addictive!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #3

I just fancied having a go at it. I went to shows before I even got a pedigree cat to see what it was all about. I already knew which breed I wanted so I went and saw what was being shown, had a look at good 'type' and talked to breeders. Obviously Porsha didn't work out to be a show cat so I hunted the country for a good breeder that had something I was looking for. I then went to the Supreme got chatting with Mildred's breeder and the rest is history really. I started showing the two girls and now I'm hooked - I thoroughly enjoy showing my cats so much so that I entered one of my mogs in a show too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
get the impression it's addictive!
It certainly is Eileen!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
18-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #5

Now I am bumping this up......I'd love to hear more too x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
So how did you start showing?
What made you want to?
And how did you start?

Just wondering.
I was determined to put Rover through all the things I would expect him to come across in life, as a kitten. Young animals adapt much easier and I don't want a cat that is scared of his own shadow - it makes life harder for both cat and slaves. Showing was part of that. Showing is more fun than I thought before I started as well. I though it would be quite dull for us both, but (at least for the first shows) we both enjoyed the commotion and experience.
Stared by finding a show I could get to without driving for hours, sent for the form and checked with Rover's breeders that I had filled in the right bits with the right numbers and names.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
18-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #7

I'd never even considerd going to a show before the Dundee one and to be honest only really went to see Hreow and Rover. However I really enjoyed all the various cats and everyone was so frendly. I had been ther for 2 hours and it didn't seem that long!
I really just wonderd what or how people got into it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #8

I found it the same when I started going to shows with my friends. Everyone was so friendly, they'd answer questions about their cats...not surprising, we all love to talk about them, don't we? Seeing the different breeds was fascinating, and of course the vendors and the freebies were fun. Showing itself seems too stressful for me, but going to them us a lovely experience!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
20-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #9

I'd been to cat shows just to have a look around before I'd ever got a pedigree cat or considered showing.

Initially when I got Lily I didn't really think about showing her, she was just my lovely pet!! Then I joined a couple of cat clubs and they sent me some info about their upcoming shows and I thought we might as well just give it a try!! So we went to the first show not knowing what to expect at all, and she came first in her open and won a CC!!!

From then on we were addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for her to get her condition back after having the babies so we can start showing again.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
20-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #10

Well I have never showed.... I dont have any high breed cats or whatever they are called lol but it sound s quite exciting being in all that atmosphere and all those fluffies .....