Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #1

What to do about Sandy...

My neighbour Doris fell a week ago and fractured her hip, she is in hospital and has had a partial hip replacement, I am feeding her cat Sandy....(The one that spat at me last time her mum was in hospital)!!
Doris is going to be away at least 10 weeks, Sandy is miserable without her mum, and when I go to feed her, spend a while giving her cuddles, She is eating,but not as much as usual...
She is a very nervous cat, doesn't like strangers, so my way of thinking is she is better being in her own home...But she is on her own most of the time...Don't know what to do for the best..I can't take her to my home, doubt if she would cope with my lot!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #2

Re: What to do about Sandy...

I think she will feel better remaining in her own home as long as possible Moli. She knows you now and accepts you as a friendly face even though she misses her own mum. As long as you are able to find time to feed her each day, I would say leave her where she is for the time being ....... although 10 weeks is a long time and you may fine her knocking at your door one day

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #3

She is scared of my boys Mags, all but Chancer, she loves him...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #4

How about taking Chancer over then when you go Moli, I assume you can walk there? and he would follow you, maybe cat company is what she could do with as well. You'll be surprised how well cats manage to adapt although I imagine Doris spent 24/7 with her, so nothing you do could compare to that so you can only do the best you can. I think too she will be happier in her own home and Doris will be pleased to know she's fine, I assume you leave the radio/TV on for her Cleo adores that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #5

She's definitely better off in her own home; hate to think how she'd react being put in a cattery! Fab idea about taking Chancer with you, and think the radio's good too! Poor Doris, she must miss Sandy very much.....

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
How about taking Chancer over then when you go Moli, I assume you can walk there? and he would follow you, maybe cat company is what she could do with as well. You'll be surprised how well cats manage to adapt although I imagine Doris spent 24/7 with her, so nothing you do could compare to that so you can only do the best you can. I think too she will be happier in her own home and Doris will be pleased to know she's fine, I assume you leave the radio/TV on for her Cleo adores that.
Chancer has access to the house through catflaps, he is not too keen on going in as Doris has a dog, who at the moment is staying with a friend of mine....Great idea the radio, never thought of that
I will take Chancer with me tomorrow, maybe if he see's the dog is not there he will come in....I wouldn't put her in a cattery, but do have a friend who would foster her...

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #7

What about a timer for putting on and off a small lamp, and the radio so that puss has a bit of 'narturalness' and doesn't feel so alone, Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #8

What about an item of Doris' clothing that she can lie on that has her 'scent' on it, might make her feel better.

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
What about an item of Doris' clothing that she can lie on that has her 'scent' on it, might make her feel better.
She has the run of the house, and sleeps on Doris's bed.. I think she just misses the company, When Doris is home, she will not come near me, now she is my best pal!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #10

poor baby, and poor Doris, she must be missing her so!