Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #1

Help for Elderly Rescue Cat

Hi
Posting this for someone I know who needs help/advice, can anyone advise

Do any of you have any advice to offer - Ive rescued an elderley cat , he will be 15 years old this year , he has arthritis and possible renal failure although i have to get him back to the vet to be retested after his meds finish to confirm renal failure.. Anyway he is on pain relief for his arthritis but to be honest he can run skip and jump the best ive seen , eats like a horse etc - vet said theres nothing medically wrong with him even his kidneys failing ( if they are) wont cause him a lot of pain or discomfort but the problem is he howls and cries and cries and cries and cries and howls non stop , he wakes me at all hours of the morning and his own voice is hoarse and his cry is more like a loud cackle until he howls which is full on from the lungs ... I understand he is old and im trying to be understanding to this and since its nothing medical. does anyone else know what this is or why this is happening , he has been doing this for a few years now ( Not with me as ive just had him since Jan) .. Its very difficult to deal with and its stressing my own cats out .. I have tried feliway but he still does it and im sorry to say im losing the will to live with the constant crying its interupting my sleep and making me grumpy and shattered when i get up at 6.30am for work and my own cats run a mile when he starts .. Im finding it difficult to show him affection as he just wont stop howling and crying

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

Re: Help for Elderly Rescue Cat

Get his blood pressure checked and a thyroid test done asap, I'd say as these can be the cause of the howling. I disagree with the vet regarding kidney issues not causing discomfort. Actually it angers me, if you have ever seen a human in renal failure, it's horrific. Cats hide these things so much better than humans but rest assured they feel bloody awful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

I agree with Elaine and I'm sure I've read somewhere on this forum about a cat with similar behaviour where it was found to be related to high blood pressure (was it Yola's cat?). Hope you can find a way of reducing his howling, it must be driving everyone nuts. My old Merlin did howl sometimes at night but he was quite a bit older than your cat, he also had renal problems which were being treated. I'm fairly sure he was going a bit senile but would always calm and be quietened by having a cuddle and being spoken to softly. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I agree with Elaine and I'm sure I've read somewhere on this forum about a cat with similar behaviour where it was found to be related to high blood pressure (was it Yola's cat?). Hope you can find a way of reducing his howling, it must be driving everyone nuts. My old Merlin did howl sometimes at night but he was quite a bit older than your cat, he also had renal problems which were being treated. I'm fairly sure he was going a bit senile but would always calm and be quietened by having a cuddle and being spoken to softly. Good luck!
This cat is 15 so quite a senior chap. Shes going to take him back to the vet. Ive found over the years some vets are more sympathetic to Boxers than others, perhaps its the same with cats

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Get his blood pressure checked and a thyroid test done asap, I'd say as these can be the cause of the howling. I disagree with the vet regarding kidney issues not causing discomfort. Actually it angers me, if you have ever seen a human in renal failure, it's horrific. Cats hide these things so much better than humans but rest assured they feel bloody awful.
Agree with you re the kidney failure. Katie has so many bad times they outweigh the good. Nauseau is awful for her & going days without food & I cant see it being any different for cats. Certainly when i compare symptoms with my friend who has 3 rescue cats in renal failure, Katie's symptoms very similar. Some vets appear to be a tad insensitive at times

Shes taking him back to the vets so was glad i posted here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
05-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

I definitely agree with Elaine. The cat needs blood tests to confirm hyperthyroidism, renal failure and high blood pressure- often the latter 2 are linked to hyperthyroidism. I assume the cat is on Metacam, which is contraindicated for renal failure anyway, so if the cat is coping well I would be inclined to treat the other issues before the arthritis and manage it with warmth, easy access ( avoid jumping) and possibly acupuncture.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Yes, it was Fifi who howled horribly like that. The vet kept saying 'not a problem' yet when I finally insisted on a blood pressure test, it was sky-high. But the damage was done

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #8

Another reply from Mary

Helen he had these tests but they came back clear - its strange as he went to one vet who said everything was fine and clear but when i took him to a different vet he had a level 30 in his Urea ? he got meds which reduced that and because the meds reduced it they said it wasn't what they thought and his urea levels were high as he was dehydrated which can show the same results as kidney failure , he was on a 10 day course of Benazepril recently to see if that would reduce it and give them a better idea of whats wrong and im going back to get him retested - no he is on Loxicam but i have stopped that as even though i give it to him after he eats or directly with food and with the exact allocated measurements given for his weight it upsets his wee tummy as i can her his belly gurgling after - I got in from work yesterday and he has thrown up yellow bile , god love him - Im booking him in again today and yes he is deaf as a doornail as he nearly has a heart attack if i walk in the room and sit on the bed - I googled the yellow bile and its came up he might have gastroenteritis , i obviously wouldn't take a google diagnoses but will tell the vet - God Helen I hate saying this it sounds awful but this we cat isnt even mine and its costing me a bomb in vets fee's , it angers me as i know who owned him and he is this way because of his neglectful owner.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Loxicam is another name for metacam.

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Loxicam is another name for metacam.
Thats a drug I am not overly keen on, more experience of it in the dog world with it