Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Truth or a story?

I just wondered if anyone had an opinion at all, my neighbour's dog was PTS today he was an older dog about 14ish I guess, and he was telling me they were going to tell the children they have 3, 10, 12 and about 14 that the dog had run away rather than tell them he had been PTS.
I said they should tell the children the truth the dog was elderly and the children really loved the dog and have spent all their lives with him, I think they would be more upset and for longer that he had run away and left them than the brief intense grief they would feel knowing he had been PTS and no longer in pain/discomfort in fact I think the parents should have told the children he was poorly and what they were going to do.

Do you have an view?

The chap and his wife are really nice people and this has baffled me a little as I would not have thought they would do this. Theirother option is to tell the children they had sent him to work on a farm as he is was a Border Collie cross.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

Re: Truth or a story?

I can't understand why they won't tell the children the truth I think hiding death from children causes a lot more problems in the long run. The earlier they understand about it the more accepting of it they are but that's just my opinion. I'd never dream of telling children that their pet had run away, the children might feel their pet was unhappy with them I hope this couple reconsider their explanation to their children Kazz.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
07-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #3

If they tell the children the dog ran away then they will be waiting for it to come back and when do you give up hope of finding them again? It's better for them to come to terms with an animal dying as it may be the first experience of death. Surely the truth is better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #4

The children are at their grandparents they go to their caravan in the holidays for a week or so as Mom and Dad work, I felt so sorry for them today they were beside themsleves maybe they will reconsider. I do hope so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
07-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #5

They should tell them the truth. I have been through both senario's with Cilidh when the Cats went "missing" and both Blue and Sasha being PTS.
It is a hard thing to do, but teaching your children about death is easier for them to deal with. If they say the dog has run awaay they will be expecting it to come home or think it didn't love them.
I really hope this couple re consider.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #6

I personally think it's best to know the animal died/was PTS. If they think the dog ran away then they would always be looking for him and waiting for him to come home, they would have hope that they shouldn't have because he's not going to turn up on the doorstep in the morning is he! I think it's better to know he's gone than the not knowing where he is or whether he's okay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #7

Think they should tell them the truth, its part of life, and owning a pet....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #8

My children were so upset when their hamsters died, but I still think they should of known about their pets' deaths. I would never lie about something like that no matter how upset it made the children.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #9

I think they should be told the truth,the poor kids will be looking out for him and really hoping that he will come home one day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #10

I think we tell children enough lies as it is. Death is an important part of life (contradiction or what )
Its always very painful to lose an animal but at least its final and the kids wouldnt be constantly looking out for the dog in the hope that it may return.