Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #31

Re: Death of a Cat

[quote=dandysmom;331088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
The terribly sad thing, Fran, is that it takes such a small hole to bury so much love.........
Yes but don't forget the cat sized hole you have in your heart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #32

Normally, owners will take back their dead pet and either bury it or have it cremated. Burial of pets by their owners is a permitted exemption under the Animals By-Product Regulations. However, the burial of animal carcasses from business activities such as rescue homes and unclaimed carcasses from kennels and catteries is prohibited under the Landfill Regulation. You should not bury dead pets (that are not your own pets) on the site of your kennel or cattery

Edited to say I took this extract from the Environmental Agency, Netregs web site

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #33

That's really interesting Fran, because we've always been told that we are not allowed to let people bury stillborn pups as it's against the law & although lots of people want to - we don't allow them to.

Catsey Veteran

11-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #34

See I can't see me bringing the dogs back with me, as much as I think of them I would leave them at the vets and bring home the memories, but the cats well Oscar and Cleo - 23-24+ years a long long time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
That's really interesting Fran, because we've always been told that we are not allowed to let people bury stillborn pups as it's against the law & although lots of people want to - we don't allow them to.
The reason I questioned you Smudgley is because our vets are usually 'hot' with legal things. I'm not saying they would have refused for us to take Lucky but they would definitely have pointed out it was against the law to bury her if it was if you know what I mean and they never said anything only the recommended dimensions of the 'hole'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
11-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
See I can't see me bringing the dogs back with me, as much as I think of them I would leave them at the vets and bring home the memories, but the cats well Oscar and Cleo - 23-24+ years a long long time.
It is strange isn't it Kazz?
As i said when i had polly pts..i knew instantly i didnt want to bury her etc, she was pts at home..and then we followed the vet and took her back to the surgery, commoner practise i was told than one actually imagines.
I just didn't want to bury her/bring ashes back etc as have all the memories i needin my head n heart rather than to have a long standing 'physical' thing to remind me of her..but i would worry it would remind me of her death and her actually being dead rather than the time we shared
All of the other dogs were allways left at the vets..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
11-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Sorry too upsetting, gonna get off this thread now.
Big hugs Elaine (((((())))))
xx

Catsey Veteran

11-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #38

Apart form Oscar and will be Cleo I would not bury my animals. My memories are enough but Oscar I thought I wouldleave at the vets but the Sunday morning he was ill I knew I wouldn't couldn't leave him. I brought him straight home he was home the vets then home all within 20 minutes including the drive there and back. He was still with me. Cleo will be the same.

Catsey Veteran

11-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #39

Now I don;t find it upsetting at all maybe I am odd, in fact its nice talking about him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
11-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #40

Fran ~ You are right. I looked on the Defra site & it confirmed what the EA said.

Kazz ~ I'm the same with the cats/dogs thing.
Having lost lots of dogs over the years - they've always been left at the vets, or when Conka died at home, we then took him to the vets. Never had them cremated, always had a very realistic approach to them once they are gone & have always left the vets to dispose of them, BUT when Mitten (cat) died I brought her home & we buried her in the garden (even though I could have had her cremated, free of charge & her ashes back) I still wanted her buried by the pond.

I felt very different when my cat died than I had felt when losing any of the dogs too.