Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #1

Death of a Cat

Maybe this is a bit morbid, but what do people do when their cats die?

Are they given to the vet to dispose of or would a person have the cat cremated and spread its ashes in the garden or would they bury the cat in the garden.

Its just a friend told me his friend had her cat cremated and the ashes were placed in an urn and put on the fireplace.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #2

Re: Death of a Cat

all of our animals are buryed in the garden!x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #3

I've never had a cat that has died before so I don't know what others do, but I would bury mine in my garden. All of my rats that I've had have been buried in my gardens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #4

Oscar was brought straight home and buried in the garden under the shade of a tree he liked to sit under in all weathers.
Thinking about it I wonder if I should have had him cremated and then buried his ashes - that way if I move I could take him with me. But wanted to bring him home I did not want to leave him with strangers. Will more than likely do the same with Cleo bring her home straight away.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #5

Can I just say very interesting and thought provoking thread something maybe we should all consider before the time comes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
11-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #6

We've gone to the same vet well..my parents have gone to him for about 23 ish years..so a bit before i came along! Our vet gives the option..whether to take the body of any pet for 'owner' disposal or if you would like to have the vet dispose of the remains.
See when my old Russell Bitch was pts last year..i chose not to have her ashes back, and let our vet deal with things because i KNEW i couldn't cope at that time with having the ashes back..would be a constant reminder too me.
I think each to their own...i have since regretted the above, and vowe any animal of mine will come home after death..one way or another.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #7

I bury them in the garden but if I lost one of my dogs then due to the size of them I would have them cremated and bury the ashes..same would go for the horse, obviously

Edit to say that when the time comes for our horse, my hubby would like his remains to go to feed the hounds as a tribute to his life of hunting and passion for it But I might have to draw the line at that one!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies!
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

Brrrrp was buried in my OHs parents garden, they have a paddock and a huge pond, so theres lots of birds and bunnies and things, we thought she'd like it there (our garden is tiny!), we also chose a tree that we thought suited her a planted it on top of her*.

She was buried with her bowls, her blanket, and her fave toys, a mouse and a little ball of tinfoil.

She died a few years ago now, but we still always go and say hi to her when we visit them, her tree is doing really well

* I also planted a rose bush in our actual garden in memory of her, its beautiful but spikey - just like she was.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
11-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #9

Not had a cat die on me yet but one of my dogs (lara) was left with the vet to cremate and the other (Tam1) was brought home and buried in the sheep field with views across the valley to the SugarLoaf Mountain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
11-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #10

When I lost Midas last year I had him cremated and have most of his ashes in the living room here with me. I didn't want to lose him forever and he loved being here (I think!). I scattered some of the ashes in the garden and planted lavender there - it was his fave sunny spot. I had a special box made for his ashes and a feline artist did a portrait of him on the top. I'll see if I can find the photo to add in a mo.
When Abi lost her kittens a few months ago, I had the two that I had been hand-rearing cremated, but I decided not to bring them home as I hadn't had so much of a bond with them.
I think it's definitely personal choice. When we were kids we buried all our family pets in the garden; hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and a cat.
I decided not to bury this time, as my garden isn't very big and I also like the idea of being able to take MIdas with me when I move house.