Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #31

Re: Cat with 2 faces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Well said!!!
I'll second that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #32

My dog Ben, became partially sighted and quite deaf as he aged, but he was a happy lad who enjoyed his walks, being in our company and a rub behind his ears. I would never have dreamed of having him pts. I believe cats and dogs who are deaf or blind can live happy lives. My cat Sidney is quite deformed, he was born like this and is the happiest cat with the sunniest disposition and loving nature I have ever met! He does look awkward when he eats and walks or runs and as he does not walk on his pads but on the sides of his feet he has several callouses. He knows no different, thank goodness he was not pts at birth. He looks very healthy, has a great appetite and generally loves life. Just because he is not considered 'normal' (whatever that may mean) does not mean he doesn't deserve his life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-08-2006, 02:07 AM   #33

We obviously hsve strong dfferences of opinion about this cat. Lets agree to disagree...civilly and politely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #34

There you go you all with "disabled " Cats said it. NONE of them behave abnormally! The blind Cat you speak of doesnt bang into things, this one does, he isnt blind but goes round in circles, why is that? certainly not because the Cat is living a normal life.

I dont know why people are offended, I have owned 2 blind dogs, one Lab with PRA, blind at 7 and a JRT with Glaucoma, one eye removed and blind in the other, and I didnt feel offended by anyones comments because its their opinion, I know a couple people who consider blind animals a real problem, I dont! I also dont consider deaf animals a problem, although a born deaf dog if in my care would be PTS as soon as it was apparent as I feel these dogs can be a liability, but certainly not dogs that go deaf over time.

This Cat is clearly brain damaged and was kept for no other reason that a spectacle and a talking point, cruel, selfish and it still disgusts me.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_198121619.html
Here is another one, already being mauled about and showed to all and sundry, these people should be ashamed of themselves, cant see how they can say they have any real feeling for the animal.
Dawn.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
21-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #35

My other thread seems to have got lost. Anyway I apologise to anyone who thought I was saying that having a blind animal is cruel. What I was trying to say was that I used to think keeping a blind animals was cruel until I heard and spoke to people who had them and understood that in fact they had perfectly contented lives. Similarly I don't agree that an animal should be put to sleep because it has a deformity and although it's behaviour might not be totally "normal" it doesn't mean that the animal is suffering. Dogs that have wheels for back legs, three legged animals all have quality of life just because a cat walks round in circles doesn't mean it is not happy. The issues of it's owner being slightly batty is another thing!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
21-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I also dont consider deaf animals a problem, although a born deaf dog if in my care would be PTS as soon as it was apparent as I feel these dogs can be a liability, but certainly not dogs that go deaf over time.
Excuse me, but its not deaf dogs which are the liabilities, its the so called humans who are clueless which some of these dogs end up with.

All three of mine were originally with people who did not realise the dogs were deaf - now thats pretty stupid of them imo.

Anyone knowingly selling or homing a deaf dog without making sure the new owner has a brain cell are the worst of the liabilities, NOT the dogs.

I really am astounded to read what you said above, its such surreal old fashioned thinking in this day and age

Catsey Junior

21-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
My other thread seems to have got lost. Anyway I apologise to anyone who thought I was saying that having a blind animal is cruel. What I was trying to say was that I used to think keeping a blind animals was cruel until I heard and spoke to people who had them and understood that in fact they had perfectly contented lives. Similarly I don't agree that an animal should be put to sleep because it has a deformity and although it's behaviour might not be totally "normal" it doesn't mean that the animal is suffering. Dogs that have wheels for back legs, three legged animals all have quality of life just because a cat walks round in circles doesn't mean it is not happy. The issues of it's owner being slightly batty is another thing!
Thank you for clarifying
My tripod dog swims in large circles btw, but thats cos his propulsion at the back end is not quite balanced but he does love to swim anyway

I certainly admit to being slightly batty
but not to the detriment of my crew at least

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Excuse me, but its not deaf dogs which are the liabilities, its the so called humans who are clueless which some of these dogs end up with.

All three of mine were originally with people who did not realise the dogs were deaf - now thats pretty stupid of them imo.

Anyone knowingly selling or homing a deaf dog without making sure the new owner has a brain cell are the worst of the liabilities, NOT the dogs.

I really am astounded to read what you said above, its such surreal old fashioned thinking in this day and age
WHAT are you on about? It is the responsible thing to do, a deaf dog is a liability, I am not speaking of dogs that go deaf, just those that are born deaf, the ones that end up in rescue for gods sake, the ones that have major behaviour problems, like yours for instance (not saying he should be PTS!) the ones that are untrainable to some extent, the ones you cant call back if they escape, the ones that bark insessently and cant hear you call to them, the ones that cant hear the Cars coming, you get my drift!!!!!!!!!
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

21-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
WHAT are you on about? It is the responsible thing to do, a deaf dog is a liability,
No they are not. How they are handled is what makes them, or any other dog, a liability or not, whether they can hear or not is irrelent.

Quote:
I am not speaking of dogs that go deaf, just those that are born deaf,
Mine were born deaf

Quote:
the ones that end up in rescue for gods sake,
which mine did, thats where I got them from

Quote:
the ones that have major behaviour problems, like yours for instance (not saying he should be PTS!)
Behavioural problems caused by humans can be put right by humans. The problems he came with have not been difficult to manage. The abuse he suffered is not because he is deaf but because his original owner was a moronic bullying idiot, too stupid to realise he had bought a deaf pup from an unscrupulous breeder. Hearing dogs suffer the same beatings and kickings as my lad did, because their owners are sick in the head, not because the dogs are imperfect or do anything wrong.
Put the abusers down, not the dogs which suffered through peoples ignorance and cruelty, whether the dog which was the victim can hear or not.

Quote:
the ones that are untrainable to some extent,
All dogs of every breed, size, type, mix, are untrainable to some extent, or they would all be Obedience Champions.

The one of mine which was actually called `an untrainable imbecile`, by her previous owner, is not deaf....

All my dogs have been highly trainable, the deaf ones more so as it goes, being far more naturally observant and responsive.
One of mine, with no prior training for them, and at the age of 11 years old, got his Bronze and Silver in one weekend at a show last year. I only entered to see how he would do. He passed everything with flying colours.
I had never done retrieve with him either yet he learnt to retrieve and bring back perfectly within 20 minutes while I was bored at a show and used the time to see if he would do it.

Quote:
the ones you cant call back if they escape,
There are plenty of hearing dogs with crap recall which escape. One of my deaf dogs, after an Obedience competition, was declared by the judge to have shown the best recall of the day.

Quote:
the ones that bark insessently
Very few deaf dogs bark incessantly and if they do, same as a hearing dog, why are they being left to do so ?

Quote:
and cant hear you call to them,
Hearing dogs in the distance cant hear when they are called. There are more ways to attract a dogs attention than just voice or sound. Its not rocket science !

Quote:
the ones that cant hear the Cars coming,
No dog should be in a position to have to care about hearing a car coming. Where cars are around, dogs should be on lead, end of. One dog at a show I was at this week escaped after being attacked by two dogs. The dog then ran into a road and was hit by a car. Thankfully the dog is recovering but the fact remains that the dog which can hear was still hit by the car.

Quote:
you get my drift!!!!!!!!!
Sadly yes.

Any time if you are around where I live, perhaps my deaf dogs might help you understand the things you are so misunderstanding of.
I would suggest - and I mean this politely, not nastilly - any time you get a deaf dog in, please send it to a rescue where there are people who do have a basic understanding of deafness in dogs so that those dogs can live the full lives they deserve.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #40

I have read these posts with interest, we all have our own opinions, I would have had that poor cat pts, rather than turn it into a freak show.....As for a deaf dog, I have trained a deaf dog and she turned out to be extremely clever....I personally would not put a deaf dog to sleep...Just my opinions...