Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
16-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #11

Re: spinal trauma

here s
he is aged about 7 weeks grown a bit since then!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
17-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #12

She is one gorgeous bundle of fluff - hope she gets well soon ((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #13

Not quite the same but years ago we had a dog who suddenly lost the use of her back legs. We were never quite sure why but thought maybe she had struck her neck/spine on a table edge whilst jumping from a chair. It was a long time ago and I can't remember what vet treatment she had - not a lot, I know, it just wasn't done then. Anyway, it took about 2 weeks but she eventually regained use, strength and full facilities. She was never incontinent but had to be 'held over' like a baby to perform outside during her paralysis period.
The advice about keeping kitty in a crate is good.
Good luck.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
17-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #14

Fingers crossed for her - I would give her cage rest and see if she can get better - I think if it is nerve damage, then it isn't too good, but you wouldn't know till any swelling had gone - have the vets suggested anything like Metacam? Dont know if you can use it in kittens, but that is what I was given for my adult when she had swelling. She is now three legged and can manage fine, so if it does come to that, then it isn't too bad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
17-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #15

Has she been x - rayed? I think the crate is a good idea deffinately, sounds like a spinal trauma, dachshunds often get similar symptoms when they hurt their backs by jumping off things, e.t.c but obviously you'd expect a cat to be more resiliant. Going by this though hopefully it's just muscle damage and will heal with rest.

Catsey Junior

17-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #16

hi all and thankyou!update:she is taking prednisolone half am +pm she seems less wobbly today can walk if she goes slowly!tail is sticking out horizontaly and very stiff while doing so tho,if she tries to move too quickly she falls.i can borrow a crate but i must admit i feel a bit mean shutting a kitten up,but if it will help i will.if she only had 3 legs i think she would cope better as she couldnt go to use the wobbly side??the other 3 arent happy as im having to lock them out when im not in,as she will try and follow them through the cat flap otherwise, and binka cant be locked in,as he will pee anywhere and everywhere!the slightest change and he does that,like having the cat basket in the hall on monday!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #17

good to hear that she's improving! Sounds like you have your hands full with the other 3 though, lol.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
17-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #18

I think you do need to cage her - yes, it isn't pleasant for a kitten, but this needs sorting asap, or she could end up with issues for the rest of her life. Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #19

Sounds like things are improving a little..but I do think a crate would be a good idea at least in the short term. Fingers crossed here for more improvement soon x

Catsey Junior

18-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #20

picking up the crate tomorrow