Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
29-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Candy's dodgy tummy.

Candy has not been great for the last couple of months and been back into the vet a couple of times due to a flare up of her IBD. She is not eating well and although less sick being on white fish, still quiet and looks uncomfortable. Candy is impossible to examine in the vet, so I've bitten the bullet and booked her in tomorrow to be sedated for bloods and a thorough exam- scans and x-rays if needed. This may all be a bit OTT, but I want to rule out any other issues that may be causing problems, before we start her on steriods. This is the next step in treatment for IBD, so I want to check all is well with her anyway. I decided this was a better way than let things drag on- stressing her, us and the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #2

Re: Candy's dodgy tummy.

Poor Candy. That sounds like a very practical plan to me; do let us know the results.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

As you say, may seem a bit OTT but at least all tests etc. done at once and as she's sedated much less stressful for her. Hope there are positive outcomes from the tests.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Fingers crossed for Candy tomorrow. Best thing that she 's not stressed, poor lass.

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #5

Well Candy is home, so no further forward really- nothing remarkable on her bloods, her esinophils were high ( related to the IBD), she had signs of infection (she had a wee abscess from a tick bite and the vet drained it) , nothing else. The vet did feel a goitre in her throat that might indicate hyperthyroidism but usually the liver enzymes are raised, but they were normal. Nothing felt wrong with her tummy. I just have to wait for her thyroid test to come back and if normal assume it is the IBD. She may have to go onto steroids but I would prefer to avoid it if possible.

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

I've forgotten now what it was for, but my neighbor's Aby, Emily, had to go on steroids for a bit, and she gained a terrible amount of weight ... looked like a brown watermelon on legs! I hope Candy can avoid it too.

Catsey Veteran

06-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #7

The latest Candy update- her bloods came back within the normal range for T4, the vet did ask the lab to do an equilibrium test ( which would show up whether she was in the process of going hyperthyroid) but the sample had broken down. The vet is concerned about the lump in her throat, if it isn't a goitre he's worried it may be something in her lymph nodes ( lymphoma). She is booked in for Tuesday to be sedated again, x-rayed, scanned and an FNA from the lump as well as another blood sample to be sent off for an equilibrium test.
She is a bit better and has stopped being sick with being fed white fish, but she is still very scrawny and her coat is poor. I am hoping it is just a flare up of the IBD with the stress of new cats but I would rather be over careful than miss something.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #8

Poor Candy is going though it atm farthing. Fingers crossed that all goes well on Tuesday. It's good news that she's stopped vomiting.

Catsey Veteran

06-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #9

Well, at least she's eating, that's one good thing. Hope all will go well Tuesday, will be thinkinbg of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Hope all goes well for Candy on Tuesday