Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
16-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #11

Re: Dylan's going on a diet ...

Solomon had another blood test yesterday to see if his white cell count has gone up again. He's still on steroids and the vet says he is still rather overweight at 5.3kg, she wants him to continue with the Hills Prescription i/d biscuits - but not too many a day! Difficult when he's always hungry as a result of said steroids!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
He's 6.5kg, he should be 5.5 kg at most

He's four now, so he shouldn't have a hangy down tummy Too many rats, mice and rabbits I think
So he's put on 1kg in just over 4 weeks ..... that does seem a lot.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...t=Dylan+weight

I agree with Elaine in saying you would be wise to discuss his diet plan with your vet before you begin cutting down his food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
16-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #13

I'll ask the vet about it. I'll take Dylan in within a few days I think, Dylan loves the vet (purrs and rubs round him reacting like the vet is made out of catnip )

Could be that our scales are not being entirely honest ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #14

Yes - it's good to have a constant measure in terms of weight and 'human' scales don't always record very accurately.

I would do this under vet guideance as weight gain/loss can be a symptom of underlying issues, although at only 4 years old I doubt Dylan would be experiencing these.

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #15

I've put an elastic breakaway collar with a bell on him, so hopefully that will help prevent him from fetching back and eating so much prey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #16

It's a lot harder to restrict the diet of an outdoor cat who's an excellent hunter!

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
It's a lot harder to restrict the diet of an outdoor cat who's an excellent hunter!
That's why he's got a collar with a bell on now DM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
That's why he's got a collar with a bell on now DM
I hope it works ..... but I've read that a really skillful hunter can learn to stalk without activating the bell ..

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
19-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #19

UMMMMMMMMMMM!! Bells kinda work but I know a certain Porter PePe Po Pap de Purr who will remove said collar & bell and continue regardless.... on the bright side he usually brings the collar in with him later so I don't have to keep getting a new one!!!

Anyway... diets... why not wanting to go on to light food? & do get that weight checked et the vet over a period of time... there are other reasons he could be gaining weight suddenly... not wanting to sound the bringer of bad news but do get him checked out if continues...

Since Bear was on steriods for his bladder blockages he is now quite substanstial... 7.89kg @ last weigh in .... but vet is OK with this as he is soooooo big anyway.... Awesome Dawson on the other hand is just fat & lazy!!! He is only 6.9kg tho!!!!

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatLady
UMMMMMMMMMMM!! Bells kinda work but I know a certain Porter PePe Po Pap de Purr who will remove said collar & bell and continue regardless.... on the bright side he usually brings the collar in with him later so I don't have to keep getting a new one!!!

Anyway... diets... why not wanting to go on to light food? & do get that weight checked et the vet over a period of time... there are other reasons he could be gaining weight suddenly... not wanting to sound the bringer of bad news but do get him checked out if continues...

Since Bear was on steriods for his bladder blockages he is now quite substanstial... 7.89kg @ last weigh in .... but vet is OK with this as he is soooooo big anyway.... Awesome Dawson on the other hand is just fat & lazy!!! He is only 6.9kg tho!!!!
Tried Dylan on light food, he won't eat it at all, he'll just go out elsewhere for his food source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I hope it works ..... but I've read that a really skillful hunter can learn to stalk without activating the bell ..
Dylan's not worked that one out yet, DM He'll go out but sets the bell off jingling so all prey but the deaf will hear him