Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
14-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Solar Heated Dishes & TNR

I know this forum is based in the UK, but was wondering if anyone can suggest somewhere I can get a solar heated pet water dish in Canada, Ontario to be more precise. I know i'm jumping the gun with this since summer is just begun, but I hate not being prepared in advance.

Or any other suggestions on keeping water from freezing outdoors?

When I am able to trap the cats for spay/neuter, should I put a collar on them? I know this may sound like a silly question, just want to make sure I can identify them in case.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Solar Heated Dishes & TNR

It is a sensible thing to be thinking about in Canada I think!!! Especially with outdoor cats, poor darlings. I'm afraid that I have no idea at all what folk would use to keep their animals drinking water ice-free. There surely must be something ............. hopefully a search online may help you.

Just be very very sure NEVER USE ANTI-FREEZE - it's deadly to cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Sounds like an excellent idea, a solar heated water fountain is a super thing and will be ideal in the winter. It sounds expensive though, maybe looking into providing a source of running water will prevent freezing; I don't know though as I have no idea of the extreme of weather you experience there.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
14-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #4

Something floating on the water like a ball can stop the water from freezing although the temperatures in Canada are a lot lower than here.

I personally don't like collars on cats, they get caught on things too easily. Could you get them microchipped? Sometimes animal charities or vets do subsidised microchipping.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
15-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #5

I don't know how I would be able to give a running source of water. My home has a cistern, not city water so it's not really an unlimited since I have to have a truck haul in water when it's low. I have seen heated bowls but are the type that needs to be plugged in. I don't like the idea of leaving something like that plugged in all the time, what if it short circuits and starts a fire when i'm not home, plus there's no outlet in the shed. When it gets cold again, i'll try the ball in the bowl. Do people get ferals chipped? Definitely something for me to consider.