Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
01-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #11

Re: Age of neutering - should we do it earlier?

When do cats go through puberty though? Snowy was spayed at only approx 4-5 months old (just before I got her from the RSPCA) and I don't think she's ever really grown up. Spaying/neutering obviously affects the hormones, so maybe too early is not a good thing?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #12

I think spaying should be done earlier, but there is a lack of vets willing to do it. There is a rescue near me that neuters all puppies and kittens at 8 weeks old, and don't rehome unless they are done - this is to save them being brought back a few months later complete with babies - they do have to travel to the vet who is willing to do it though. They have been doing it in excess of 14 years now, and the only one they lost had a heart murmur, so the outcome may have been the same if done at 6 months - they also kept one of the first males, and they never had any urinary probs with him. They find that the animals come round quicker, and deal with it better than a 6 month old - I met a 16 week old puppy, and the scar was so tiny. Kittens can come into season as young as 4 months, and as they are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first season, I think that is a very good reason. And of course, it means owners can't forget, or the cat can't escape before they have had chance to get her done. I know of American breeders who would love to make sure all theirs were spayed, but unable to find vets who are willing to do it at a reasonable price.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
03-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #13

my vet won't spay them until they are 6 months old - all my cats were done as soon as they were 6 months old - I'm not sure about doing it earlier but I don't know enough to make an informed choice on that one

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
04-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Snowy was spayed at only approx 4-5 months old (just before I got her from the RSPCA) and I don't think she's ever really grown up.
Genetically Snowy may have always been intended to be a small cat. You'll never know now, but I wouldn't regret it - spaying is one of the best things you can do for a cat.

I have two brothers who were both castrated on the same day at 5 months old (almost to the day). Now at 9 months, one brother is almost a kilo heavier than the other. Tom isn't fat though - just a bigger cat, you can see the difference in bone structure, he has a bigger head, feet and frame.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #15

I don't remember if I replied to this already or not, but thanks for posting this DM. I'll talk to my vet when I take Ninja in - as we're getting a male and a female at the same time, I really want to make sure I get them altered in time!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #16

I think females should be done definately before the first season. As soon as you can. I got both my female cats within six weeks of each other and they were speyed around five months I think, and never did I ever consider letting them have kittens. It is just a natural process - buy a kitten, get it speyed.

Both mine had no side effects or problems from the op and it was the best money I could of spent on them. I couldnt of coped with looking after a pregnant cat, labour and kittens, let alone finding homes for them all.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
05-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #17

Here is a link to an early spay and neuter study - I don't think it has been done long enough for any long term effects, but might be able to find one that has.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #18

im on a cat breeders group (well a few) and a lot of the do it at 15 weeks before they go to there new homes. BUT it is finding a vet that will do it that young. i would get my boys done befor they leave but no vet in the area will do it that young its a shame really

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #19

All my boys were done at 5 months....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
23-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #20

My vet won't do them until they are 6 months old and I totally agree with him. I think it would be like having your child go through a hysterectomy at a young age......I would prefer for mine, both male and female to mature inside first. In males my vet said it can effect the size of the urethra if they are done before puberty and this would make sense.....I'm happy with the way things are with my vets and even if they would do them at a younger age, I would stick to the 6 months.