Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #11

Re: Picotee has flowered at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
TBH this is the first year I've grown them too........... I think we both need some guidance from Eileen and Moli about this...
Yes, that would be good - any hints and tips you two ladies can give would be appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #12

Think Eileen is the expert CM, I lost mine when I was away, My son forgot to water it..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #13

Just beautiful, Picotee is one of my favorites. The stalk does seem a bit short, but it does vary from plant to plant. Will take a pic of my last two in bloom so you can see the stalk height.

Keep them watered, cut off the bloom stalk after it's finished, and keep them in a sunny window until it's warm enough for them to go outside in their pots. Not full sun, not full shade, They like being pot-bound, some of mine are in the original pots they came on 5 - 6 years ago. It probably wouldn't hurt to give them some MiracleGro in the Summer, although truthfully I usually don't. Of course, water them outside if rainfall is lacking.

The books say to let them go dormant when you bring them in in Autumn. No watering. I never have, just keep them watered. Works for me. Not all of them will necessarily rebloom again. Some do, some don't.

I'm so pleased you're enjoying yours!

Moli, what a shame about yours!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Just beautiful, Picotee is one of my favorites. The stalk does seem a bit short, but it does vary from plant to plant. Will take a pic of my last two in bloom so you can see the stalk height.

Keep them watered, cut off the bloom stalk after it's finished, and keep them in a sunny window until it's warm enough for them to go outside in their pots. Not full sun, not full shade, They like being pot-bound, some of mine are in the original pots they came on 5 - 6 years ago. It probably wouldn't hurt to give them some MiracleGro in the Summer, although truthfully I usually don't. Of course, water them outside if rainfall is lacking.

The books say to let them go dormant when you bring them in in Autumn. No watering. I never have, just keep them watered. Works for me. Not all of them will necessarily rebloom again. Some do, some don't.

Thanks Eileen, will keep that post for when I get a new one...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #15

Thanks for the info Eileen, I wasn't sure what to do with them after flowering either......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom

Thanks DM - Can I ask another question. All 3 that I bought were in pots with no holes. I find this a bit strange as I worry about waterlogging. Do you keep yours in pots like that or pots with holes?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
26-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #17

Stunning flowers CM, they are gorgeous and are certainly worth the wait.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #18

CM. they should have drainage. Repot them in pots with holes, otherwise even if you're careful about watering they may get waterlogged and die of root rot/insufficient oxygen. Can't imagine why they came in pots with no holes! Maybe they assumed that they were a one-off thing and that you'd discard them after blooming. Like poinsettias. Many people don''t realize that they can carry them over.
Here's a pic of my last two that are blooming; different stalk heights.