Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
11-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Felix with cystitis - again....

I noticed Felix sitting for ages last night in the litter and not really producing very much - if any, then licking his self profusely and then ten minutes later repeating this. Know the signs by now and it would seem Fe is just a cat prone to getting this and I am sure the culprit is as I suspected before, dry cat food. He only gets it as either a topping to his wet food or, and I suspect this is the main problem, as a treat to carry him through to the next meal. Think I have been doling out the treats a bit too often.

Managed to get him an emergency appointment at the vets this afternoon, had already given him a couple of cystease I had left from last episode November time, not sure whether that helped but he definately seemed to be squatting less but as I know in neutered males this can block the urethra and very quickly turn life threatening and with the weekend upon us did nt want to risk anything flaring up.

He was so well behaved once the vet had tipped him downwards out his holder - funny how they squash up and wedge them selves in to try and stay there! The vet stroked him over and over, said his bladder was nice and empty (I had already checked) and took him for weighing and Felix has gone from 5.7 kg to 5.2 so he s about the upper edge of normal. Got a couple of love handles and a bit of a belly as the vet said! But when he had the two injections my puss sat happily kneading the stainless steel table, quite happy, loves any attention he really does! Looked quite disgusted when he was placed back in the basket. The vet said he s lovely, he can always visit me!

Felix is contentedly lying on the landing. I wish more vets were as nice as that one!

And no more dried food for Felix! I have decided. It s too expensive visiting the vets.....

Jan x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
18-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

Re: Felix with cystitis - again....

One of my cats was prone to bouts of Cystitis I found that she hated using her litter tray and prefered to go "outside" so rather than use it she was holding herself which was causing her cystitis so i had to make sure that she went out on a regular basis and the bouts stopped hope you pussy feels better soon

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
19-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

Oh boy, I've been there! It took me a long time to figure out the dry food thing, but you're right, that was the culprit. I put all my cats on a high quality canned food only diet three years ago and my chronic cystitis guy (Thurston, who is NOT so friendly at the vet...) hasn't had a single episode in three years. He was having problems every 4-6 months up to that point.

Dry cat food was invented my people to make owning cats easier on people and has nothing whatever to do with the proper health and well being of the cat! I preach it every chance I get. I'm glad there are others here who agree!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

I am so glad that Felix is more comfortable and whilst I do agree about dry food and the problems it can cause, I must just say that my two both have dry food and won't eat wet at all. It's not for want of trying either. I do re-try every now and again but you should see the number of cans I've put in the charity bin at P@H. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and am very pleased that both Kizzy and Pip seem to drink regularly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #5

I used to give Leia both wet and dry; she preferred the dry, but after a bout of cystitis almost 3 years ago I only do a wee sprinkling on top of the wet, and she has been trouble free ever since (touch wood!)