Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
17-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #1

Maxwell

One of the old catsey crowd.
Maxwell was killed from antifreeze poisoning Friday night, it was an extremely unpleasant end for my dear boy so I wan you all to be extra vigilant as winter approaches.
He was, as many will remember, a great character from his ability to knock the letterbox when he wanted in to his great hunting and thieving abilities whether it be bats filched from garages, or crackling stolen from neighbours windowsills.
I helped him into this world seven years ago, and I sat on the doorstep with him as he left it. He was fine (well he hasn't, but he wasn't outwardly ill) one minute, had just been very sleepy all day, then asked to go out to the tooled an within just minutes I was alerted to him becoming unwell. I will spare you the details, but in the few minutes he'd gone outside it was already too late to do anything but comfort him. He was in the final stages of poisoning, vet confirmed. It was over quickly but was, a truly vile and horrible death.
For the first time in my life, I am cat less.
May heaven have an excellent Hunting ground.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Re: Maxwell

OH Luke I'm so sorry about Maxwell, it must have been dreadful for you. RIP Mighty Max, a great hunter who has lived life, well, to the Max! A sad end for a grand chap. Play hard at the bridge sweet boy. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

So very sorry to read this Luke, indeed a sad end for the mighty Maxwell and a timely warning for everyone.

RIP brave boy, play with all the Catsey cats that have gone before.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
17-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks both. I always said that I would never deny a cat it's freedom and by doing so would always accept what may come from doing so, my old Clem was pts through cancer as you know but the entire Bella family, Bella vanished, William was killed in an rta and now M'well, have all checked out far too early due to outdoor perils. I called my Mum (never too old!) after it happened and stated this fact, but she did say something interesting. Bella was, as some remember, the child of a feral cat who took up residence with a cousin of mine. Said cat is still going actually, and eventually tamed up but is still a roamer. I do believe, as mum pointed out that there was something of this desire to roam wired deep into the fabric of these cats. I had Bella, my sister had her sister, and an aunt one of the boys. All roamers despite best efforts. When Bella had the accidental babes, we kept the two boys and the two girls went to friends (one killed in an rta quite young) but they too were extremely inclined to roam and want out. More than any other cat we've ever had; of which there were quite a few living at home. So I wonder, if maybe they were just incredibly free spirits. Which; though not much, makes me feel less guilty. The Bella family err never happier than stalking off across the fields and woods at the back of our house, appearing as I walked the dogs by the river to say hello, spending those warm summer evenings out hunting up the hedgerows and lounging about in blossom trees down by the footpath. I know they lived happy lives. But still....
It doesn't make it any easier though, I will live in the "if only I had kept him as a housecat" mantra. It was incredibly traumatic and a truly brutal death, so much so that I've vowed his paws will not be filled by another feline now. Which is something I never thought I would find myself saying.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

Oh I believe your mum is right Luke - they were all free spirits and as such it would not have been right to keep them confined. I believe as you do and would always wish for any cat that lived with me to be free to come and go as they pleased - IMO that's just natural cat. I am lucky in that mine have never taken off or strayed far and have always honoured me by coming home.

You are still in shock from Maxwell's traumatic passing, that's natural too and it will pass .......... never say never again, it's too soon to make that sort of decision.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

How lovely to see you again Luke, but it's a shame that it is under such horrible circumstances I'm truly sorry that poor Maxwell met such a sad and untimely end but you were there with him and perhaps he may have taken some comfort in that. Hugs xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

So sorry to hear this Luke, especially under such tragic circumstances

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
17-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

Luke, I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your beloved Maxwell.A truly tragic end and how traumatic for you too.I know what you mean also about some cats that love to roam and be free. I have a young kitty, Miracle, that was part of an abandoned feral litter and was rescued at 2 days old. She wants nothing more than to get outside and be free, but unfortunately she is blind and must be an inside only cat.it is tragic to watch her attempts to get out.

Sleep peacefully now Maxwell, little furry angel. You will never be forgotten.And you look after yourself too, Luke.So sorry for your loss.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

So sorry Luke....
Run Free gorgeous boy...xx

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
18-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #10

Thanks everyone, it's so incredibly quiet at home. There was an assemble of cats at home before they even took me back, I've never quite known a life without cats. I keep finding myself subconsciously going to the front door at "in time" or thinking I hear him meowing.
It's just so so empty. I lost our old terrier girly at te start of the year too, the remaining hounds look as if they don't know what to do with each other.