Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

The cat who helped a grieving lady

I once took on a cat, many years ago from the rescue centre.
Not much was known about her except that she came from an owner who had previously passed on.

She was a beautiful tabby with sparkling green eyes and a feisty and independant temperament to boot! I decided to call her Katie, after Katherine Hepburn.

She lived with us all in a multi-cat household of 3 other cats. Despite the other cats being easy going with her, and having her own space, she never made any attempt to bond with them and got jealous or upset whenever they were getting attention.

One day the elderly lady that lived in the house next door lost her cat to old age, they were very close and she was quite lost without him.

On talking to her one day soon after her eyes smiled as she told me how Katie now visited her every day and spent a lot of time curled up on her lap, sometimes having fish in the conservatory! All cats lead a double life, but it sounded like Katie had really found her true happiness here..

After much deliberation I discussed how much Katie was spending at the lady's house and as they both seemed to find happiness and comfort in each other how would the lady feel about me handing Katie over? It just made perfect sense.

The old lady was happy to take Katie on.

I saw Katie many times after that in the garden, and in time the old lady passed on (by which time Katie would have been quite old herself). I put a note through the door for her son to pick up and read which said that it's none of my business but if Katie was still around and needed a home I would be happy to take her back. I never did hear from him.

Whether Katie passed on before or after the old lady I'll never know, but Katie seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Katie and the old lady were two sentient beings who found each other at a time in their lives when they needed comfort and love the most.. I was merely a stepping stone.

Katie, as she was, old photo (scanned)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Re: The cat who helped a grieving lady

That's a lovely story ...... I only wish that the son of the old lady had told you what had become of Katy herself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

LOvely but yes i too wonder what became of Katie...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #4

What a lovely story! I'm so pleased the elderly lady and Katie were company for each other in their later years...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

Yes, I really would have liked to have known whether Katie was still alive or not, and if so if a loving home was found for her..I put a note through the door twice, just in case it was missed.. I never met her son, I just hope he did the right thing by Katie. But she was about 12 when I got her, so she would have been a fair old age when the lady passed on, I have a feeling Katie passed on before the old lady. I hope so, then Katie would have passed on settled and happy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing that story; it brought a lump to my throat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

aww what a lovely story, very moving, im glad the old woman and katie found happiness together

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
06-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

Very touching How sensitive of Katie to 'know' that her presence was needed more with the old lady. Cats find the homes that need them, I know that my Posh has given me much joy and eased my pain in my sad times.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #9

Lovely story, thanks for sharing. I too wish you could have known what happened to Katie though.