Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Upper Respiratory Track (URT) infection in cats

Does anyone have experience of this? Little Pip had black crusty deposits under both his nostrils when I got him - on his first vet visit the vet said it was common in kittens where clay based litter has been used. I bathed his nostrils and got rid of the deposits. He has been with me now for 3 weeks and they keep reappearing. We use a fibre based litter (Cat's Best) so no clay based litter being used.

I have scared myself by looking at this information from FAB. Pip is due for his 2nd inoculation this Friday and I would like to be armed with questions for the vet.

What scares me most is the possibility of permanent damage to the small bones in the nose. Can anyone help with more info/experience? Thanks.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #2

Re: Upper Respiratory Track (URT) infection in cats

Hi Angie, it is unlikely that what wee Pip has is FURD or URT if that puts your mind at ease...
He would be sneezing, nasal AND ocular discharge, anorexia, pyrexia, depression etc. if he had FURD...
Does he have any breathing problems?
Allergies can give them wee boogie noses...
Could he be sticking his nose in his food, this could cause this... As well as litter getting stuck up there?
It hard to tell without seeing him.
Talk to the vet when he gets his next vacs.
But what you are describing is unusual, without any other symptoms.
Fibre litter can cause the same issues as clay litter. Maybe try wood based or catsan to eliminate the possiblity that it is the litter particles causing this...

Banned

08-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

Now... I have debated with myself whether to post this Angie, cos I know what a wee worrier you are...
But decided I would, as you asked for as much info as possible, so you can ask vet questions!!!
Sometimes when a kitten is FIV positive and immunosuppressed one of the first signs of this CAN BE nasal discharge. I am in no way saying he has FIV but its just something the vet could test for if this problem doesn't clear up.
Do you know Pips background where he came from/ mother?

Though testing is a bit hit and miss in kittens so young...Young kittens may have positive test results for 12 to 16 weeks after birth, without actually being infected with FIV, because of passive transfer of FIV antibodies from the mother. Only a small percentage of these kittens actually are or will become infected. For this reason, kittens with positive antibody tests must be retested when they are 6 to 8 months of age to determine their true infection status.

ps. Fab cats is an American website and their terminology/names for diseases are different than ours in Britain!

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #4

Thanks catwoman - I went to pick Pip up from his family - lovely clean flat, caring, nice people. Mother cat seemed perfectly healthy and clean faced, as did Pip's brother (his 2 sisters had already gone to their new homes). I know where one of his sisters is. In other words, I'll swear that Pip came from a "good home".

I have heard him sneeze twice - not in succession. He is full of beans and bus tickets and has no problems with snuffling or wheezing. His breathing seems perfectly fine. The vet listened to his chest on his first visit. He gets a little "sleepy dust" in the corner of his eyes, but nothing excessive.

I've not seen him nosing around in the litter at all. He is not eating a huge amount - he has wet and dry and much prefers to eat Kizzy's adult biscuits to his own kitten ones. I do have to tempt him to eat. He does love his water. I would consider his toilet habits are regular (x2 a day!)

Thanks for telling me that FAB is an American site - I couldn't tell that and as you say, their terminology can be different and cause misunderstandings for UK people who are not in "the know".

Banned

08-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks catwoman - I went to pick Pip up from his family - lovely clean flat, caring, nice people. Mother cat seemed perfectly healthy and clean faced, as did Pip's brother (his 2 sisters had already gone to their new homes). I know where one of his sisters is. In other words, I'll swear that Pip came from a "good home".

I have heard him sneeze twice - not in succession. He is full of beans and bus tickets and has no problems with snuffling or wheezing. His breathing seems perfectly fine. The vet listened to his chest on his first visit. He gets a little "sleepy dust" in the corner of his eyes, but nothing excessive.

I've not seen him nosing around in the litter at all. He is not eating a huge amount - he has wet and dry and much prefers to eat Kizzy's adult biscuits to his own kitten ones. I do have to tempt him to eat. He does love his water. I would consider his toilet habits are regular (x2 a day!)

Thanks for telling me that FAB is an American site - I couldn't tell that and as you say, their terminology can be different and cause misunderstandings for UK people who are not in "the know".
Well, it sounds like Pip is totally healthy And two sneezes is the whole time you have had him is nothing to worry about!
I think its just one of these things, and there is no real answer.
As long as he is full of beans, eating/drinking, no breathing problems or toilet problems there is nothing to worry about
He is lucky to have a mummy who worries soooo much for him.
I understand how you feel though, the more you read up on things the more worried you get!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6

Bramble had the same problem, caused I discoverd by him sticking his nose in his food!!!

Banned

08-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Bramble had the same problem, caused I discoverd by him sticking his nose in his food!!!
Yip, thats what I thought, thats why I mentioned it in my first reply to Angie.
I remember a cat coming in for a consult with the same problem, we took a swab for analysis. When the results came back it was kitten food lol.... The owners were so relieved...

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #8

That is a possibility - I've just watched him eat his supper and he closes his eyes and is a bit like a lawn mower!

I think the second vet we saw when we took him in because he was lame sewed the seed of worry by saying it was a viral infection probably and that he would be a carrier for life. Without any swabs or tests - but we had taken him in for his leg.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #9

Hi there, just a bit of support from me too. Kinsi always had a 'dirty' nose when she was wee. I am sure it was a combination of sticking it into her dinner and not being very clever at grooming her face. Once she reached about 12 - 14 weeks it was fine as she was a bit more able to groom and a bit more ladylike with her eating habits!!

I am sure Pip will be fine, they do make us worry don't they.

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #10

Thanks CM. You always want to act quickly for your pet's welfare, don't you? As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I am sure as I can be inside that Pip is fine - you should see him tearing about the place. He is either full speed ahead or asleep.