Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #61

Re: Poorly Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Thanks for that catwoman999

The more I thik about it and the more I read up about it, I really do think it's because he wants to get out.
One of the first thing the vet said to me when we went last time is that indoor cats are more prone to it, and everything I read mentions indoor only cats or cats with restricted outdoor access. Jerry used to be allowed out and he spent most of his time outdoors, but there is no way I can risk letting him out here.
He eats both dry and wet food, I have reduced the amount of dry food he gets but I couldnt take him off it all together, he loves his dry food and some days its all he'll eat. I have started putting a bit of water in the dry to moisten it for him, which so far he's ok with and still eating it. He is also drinking alot more after I got the drinking fountain.
He's shut in my room when Im not here so I know its not Caspurr pushing him out of the litter trays. They are still trying to sort out the whole pecking order so that could have something to do with it, and Caspurr will wait to pounce on Jerry when he is backed up into a corner or against a wall.
The only way I would be able to stop that is to keep Jerry shut up in my room alday and keep them both completely seperated, but thats not fair my baby being shut up all the time
Oh Jerry is 3 and a half, still just a baby.
Yeah, it does sound more likely that its a stress thing with Jerry
When a cat has outdoor access (even neutered ones) pee more often (scenting) than indoor litterboxed cats. And this peeing more often, flushes out any nasties in the bladder.
And as Kado says, weight is also a big factor with indoor urinary cats. Indoor cats tend to be fatter, cos they don't get the outdoor access for excercise. Added to that Jerry may very well be stressed from being indoors now. I understand he can't get out now, but Cystease etc. can be helpful to have on hand when he takes a relapse.
I wish you and Jerry luck, urinary problems in cats can be very complex.
I knew it wasn't stress with my Amos, as nothing in his environment had altered so had to be physical. But with all the changes that Jerry has had recently, it does seem that stress is most likely.

x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #62

I'm no expert but it does sound like stress to me also. Adding the water to the food is a good idea; I don't remember if you mentioned using Feliway?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #63

Oh Erin - I'm sorry to read this.
Have you got a Feliway? It might help (remember it takes a few weeks to get to maximum efficiency)
Cystease might help him too - I've written about my experiences with it in Donnas post about Chloe.
I do sympathise - I'm sure Bentley, my outdoor boy, would hate to be confined.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #64

Hmmm I am sorry to be reading this Erin... one thing I would like to say to you is regardless of Jerry being a bit under the weather everythig you have done in recent months has been with his interests at heart due to circumstances you had very little control over. You have done your best he will adapt may take a little longer but remember he can't say whats wrong so his symptoms will show themselves as "physical" like this cystitis.

Take care and try to remain calm if you can things will get better for you and Jerry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
07-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #65

We have been using Feliway DM but its ran out, so Ill go and get another one. He is still on the zylkene to help with stress which is helping but obviously not enough.

Thanks Kazz, Im hoping that I can get him sorted with access ouside somehow otherwise I feel I may have to rehome him Ill try everything before it gets to that but the poor boy is so miserable at the moment its heart breaking to watch I dont want to keep putting him through vet visits, stress of taking pills etc when all he wants to do is get outside

As I have already said, Ill try what ever I can afford, I love that little dude so much, and after everything thats gone on this past year and rehoming Milo and Tink and Choc and Lil, Im not giving up on my Jerry boy without a fight, but I do fear I could be fighting a losing battle

Banned

07-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #66

Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that

Banned

07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #67

Quote:
We have been using Feliway DM but its ran out, so Ill go and get another one. He is still on the zylkene to help with stress which is helping but obviously not enough.

Thanks Kazz, Im hoping that I can get him sorted with access ouside somehow otherwise I feel I may have to rehome him Ill try everything before it gets to that but the poor boy is so miserable at the moment its heart breaking to watch I dont want to keep putting him through vet visits, stress of taking pills etc when all he wants to do is get outside

As I have already said, Ill try what ever I can afford, I love that little dude so much, and after everything thats gone on this past year and rehoming Milo and Tink and Choc and Lil, Im not giving up on my Jerry boy without a fight, but I do fear I could be fighting a losing battle
To be honest, I think keeping Jerry on Cystaid/cystease would help alot more than zylkene... Just my opinion...
Or BOTH if you feel that zylkene is working. Cystease targets the bladder so is FAR superior, whereas zylkene is a general stress one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #68

Leo is on Zylkene at the moment, I mix it with a drop of milk and put it in a syringe....He is taking it no bother...........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
To be honest, I think keeping Jerry on Cystaid/cystease would help alot more than zylkene... Just my opinion...
Or BOTH if you feel that zylkene is working. Cystease targets the bladder so is FAR superior, whereas zylkene is a general stress one.
Yeah he's still getting cystaid, no more blood so thats a good thing

Banned

07-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Yeah he's still getting cystaid, no more blood so thats a good thing
I was wondering whether you still had him on the cystaid.
I knew from earlier posts you were using it.
Good good.
Hopefully he won't have such a bad episode this time cos of all the preventative things he is on