Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
24-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #51

Re: Poorly Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Cant really see a change in him tbh, he seems a little more relaxed today but that could just be that he's starting to feel better now
Thank you Erin for reply! The cystaid you have is brilliant, and will make him feel more comfortable. I would be interested in knowing in time, whether you think the zylkene has had a calming effect on him... Just out of interest... Cos, I think its expensive rubbish lol... But it might be like catnip, affects some cats but not others!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Thank you Erin for reply! The cystaid you have is brilliant, and will make him feel more comfortable. I would be interested in knowing in time, whether you think the zylkene has had a calming effect on him... Just out of interest... Cos, I think its expensive rubbish lol... But it might be like catnip, affects some cats but not others!!!
If I remember right, Liz was talking on the phone the other night and she mentioned using the Zylkene on some of the feral with success, but personally it did sweet fanny adams for Eva.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
25-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #53

Zylkene has worked on my 2 latest ferals - Sam - trapped 3 weeks ago and living on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom and conservatory at night and on Indie who has yet to be speyed - she lives under the futon and in the lonuge at night

There is also a Herbal remedy from the health food shop called Margocol - will have to check the bottle for spelling - 3 ferals we took on after the rest of their colony were poisoned were put on by the nice trapee lady and travelled 150 miles to come here - we stopped it after a week and Cissy 15, and her kids Ragamuffin and Smudger 10 have moved in to our bedroom and upstairs study and can all be touched and love treat!

I also have used vet prescribed ACP when all else fails!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #54

Jerry has cystitis again

I have been out all day today with Emma, when we got back I went to check on him and he had pee'd in the shower and there was blood again. Going to be speaking to the vets again and will probably need to get a urine sample this time.

Im really not sure what could be causing this, Im thinking that it could possibly that he is wanting to get out, he sits up at the windows screaming to be let out bless him but we are too close to the city center it just wouldnt be safe. This is a rented flat with a shared garden so cat proofing isnt possible, I just dont know what to do

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #55

I am so sorry to read this Erin. Poor Jerry. Did your vet try him on Metacam?

Banned

05-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #56

Sorry to hear that Jerry has relapsed
Maybe if you didn't give a sample last time, giving one this time may give the vet a better idea. I know they are hard to get and need to be completely sterile, no outside contaminates. If you need some techique advice you are more than welcome to PM me.
My cat had urinary problems, I became an expert/inventive sample taker.
I wouldn't think him wanting out would cause cystitis, though you never know, stress is always a factor... Sometimes there is never a true answer.
Diet can even be a factor, does he eat alot of fish/tuna? Or dry food?
Fingers crossed for the wee guy.

Banned

05-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am so sorry to read this Erin. Poor Jerry. Did your vet try him on Metacam?
Ohhh the SCARY metacam!
Renal function tests should be done on cat first, and depends on age of cat? How old is Jerry?
I used metacam on my cat who was 5 years old, his renal function was good and he was young. He is now 12 years old, and though his renal function is ok (not as good as before) I would now use metcam with much caution/ or not at all. Also cats with cardiac problems should stay clear.
It not unknown for older cats (even at low doses) to take acute renal failure within 48 hours of taking this drug.
Though metacam has a great anti-inflam/soothing effect on the bladder, NSAID'S can be great but there is a huge downside... owners should be very careful with doses of this drug, as it comes in liquid form. A very small overdose can be fatal for cat.
Sorry, its another subject I am quite passionate about having seen a few friends cats die from the use of this drug.
Just putting the info out there, people need to know the risks of this drug and to be sooooo careful with the dosing.
But AngieH you are correct, this drug can help bladder problems! Ideally in younger cats.

Banned

06-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #58

Maybe you could ask vet for an x-ray/scan of Jerry's bladder.
Years ago my Amos was in and out litter trying to pee, blood down sides of litter as he came out. To cut a long story short, within a month Amos had 5 visits to the vets, tried metacam, 3 different types of antibiotics (loose motions cos of antibiotics), cystease and nothing helped. Vet kept saying it was environmental stress/idiopathic/infection, I knew it wasn't! Eventually I rushed Amos in as an emergency and only then did they take an x-ray of his bladder and there was 8 small masses in his bladder that needed surgical removal. After being sent away for analysis it turns out they were small stones made up of struvite/calcium oxalate crystals and were around 2-3mm in size. This is rare, as most cats get the crystals/grain of sand size (more easily treated), but never form the larger stones. Thats why vets hadn't x-rayed sooner...
Now the presence of crystals will show up in a urine sample, but stones won't. Another reason why it was missed in Amos!
Amos could have had a urethral blockage
The bleeding he was having when urinating was caused by the stones rubbing against his bladder lining, crystals can also cause this to happen.
Hope this helps and not scare you too much.
I do tend to rabbit a bit... sorry
In a nut shell, I would push for an x-ray/scan just to be sure, and urine sample if possible.
It could be all stress related with your Jerry, but better safe than sorry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #59

Thanks for that catwoman999

The more I thik about it and the more I read up about it, I really do think it's because he wants to get out.
One of the first thing the vet said to me when we went last time is that indoor cats are more prone to it, and everything I read mentions indoor only cats or cats with restricted outdoor access. Jerry used to be allowed out and he spent most of his time outdoors, but there is no way I can risk letting him out here.
He eats both dry and wet food, I have reduced the amount of dry food he gets but I couldnt take him off it all together, he loves his dry food and some days its all he'll eat. I have started putting a bit of water in the dry to moisten it for him, which so far he's ok with and still eating it. He is also drinking alot more after I got the drinking fountain.
He's shut in my room when Im not here so I know its not Caspurr pushing him out of the litter trays. They are still trying to sort out the whole pecking order so that could have something to do with it, and Caspurr will wait to pounce on Jerry when he is backed up into a corner or against a wall.
The only way I would be able to stop that is to keep Jerry shut up in my room alday and keep them both completely seperated, but thats not fair my baby being shut up all the time
Oh Jerry is 3 and a half, still just a baby.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #60

I do hope jerry gets better soon having guinness with cyctias and Simon with struvite crystals both came down with it 3 months apart its awful for the cat and for you. Both of them was prescribed diazapan to relax there bladders i did work. They also have tried every type of AB you can think of. Mine where indoor cats when it started off as well. I also think stress is a big part of it. I tried the special diet but its only recomemed for 12wks at the most if i remember right. Sorry but how big is jerry and i am sure he is neutered i cant remeber. Weight can have a lot to do with it as well.

jane