Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #1

Chronic Renal Failure!

I have just had the very sad news (from my vet) that my senior pussy Bobby has Chronic Real failure
I have been given treatment for this although it has been made clear to me that her condition is terminal she is approx.18 years old
Has anyone else had to deal with this and can you give me some idea about how much time she has left
Since being put on meds she has looked much better
I am devistated at this diagnosis as i had thought that she might be hyper thyroid which i know can be treated
ShanX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #2

Re: Chronic Renal Failure!

This will help you Moonstone.........
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Any questions you may have ,Elaine is the one to ask...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #3

Don't give up Moonstone. Please read Elaine's thread - she knows through experience.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #4

So sorry to hear this Moonstone, it is devastating news but please dont despair and dont feel that the end is at hand. Sadly no one can give you any indication as to how long she has left and yes, it can be an emotional roller coaster.
Did your vet tell you what her Urea and Creatinine numbers were? Does she eat wet or dry food or a mix of both? It's always a good idea to add a little water to her food and give her as much access to water as you can. Also try raising her bowls a little by placing them ontop of a book, such as a telephone directory. This will help to combat any reflux.
Can you tell me exactly how she is doing in herself? Is she vomitting etc.
It's a good idea to learn as much as you can about CRF in order to help her.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, regardless of how silly they may be. There are many of us here who have gone through this same situation and I am sure you will get a wealth of support and advice.
http://www.felinecrf.org/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
11-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #5

So sorry to hear this Moonstone and I do hope that Bobby feels alot better soon.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
12-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #6

You have all given me HOPE The vet had made it clear that she would not live much longer but she does look better in herself since she was put on meds
Her creatine levels were 220 not sure about the other one but i will ask when we go back on 27th.for bloods to be done again
She is eating well and so far hasn't been sick she is thin bit not emanciated her coat was coming out in handfulls but that has improved since she was medicated
Having to go through this again is my worst nightmare (apart from seeing a snake )I lost my Harry (chunks)with renal failure and had said that i wouldn't have any more cats but Bobby was going to be PTS as her previous owners got fed up with her peeing on their bed so i took her in
ShanX

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 6 Moggy's
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #7

I am so sorry hun.
We are thinking of you all.
Love, hugs and kisses to your little one xxxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #8

We're here when you want us, moonstone. (((HUGS)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #9

We're all pulling for her and you, Moonstone. Don't hesitate to ask Elaine, she's our expert and can help, and just knowing can ease the mind a bit; it's the unknown that's scary........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #10

I am so pleased you feel a little more possitive now. The thing to remember is that many vets talk very negatively about this condition. Yes it is terminal but many cat can and do go on to live several years. The creatinine and Urea values are variable and can be reduced greatly by keeping your cat re-hydrated, also please consult your vet first but I highly recomend a vitamin B supplement. Cats under stress or with CRF lose almost all their vitamin B through urination. B vitamins are water soluble and so are safe to use. I also swear by using slippery elm bark to help combat excess tummy acid, constipation etc.
I think the fact that she is already feeling a little more her usual self is promising.
What has your vet prescribed and did he give you any other advice?