Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggie
19-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Intro

Hi
I have a confession. I'm a dog person, I've lived with dogs since birth and have a fairly good handle on their behaviour.
At the beginning of May, we (OH and me) accidentally acquired a cat. The vet says he's the leggiest young cat she has seen, probably born mid-Feb, and a 'domestic shorthair'. We assume that means moggie. I think he's gorgeous anyway, brown tabby with four white paws, a mostly white face and a massive white tummy. Mostly we're doing OK with him, he's eating well, purring up a storm and beating up the dogs.
There's just a couple of things that I'd feel stupid asking the vet about that I hope you folk can answer for me.

Is it normal to sleep in the bath?
There are cat beds upstairs and downstairs, dog beds all over, he could sleep on our bed if he wanted, but he sleeps on his back in the bath.

Why won't he eat fish?
He loves chicken, devours bacon (straight from our plates if we're not quick) and howls his head off for ice cream. We've tried tuna, salmon, shrimp, haddock, cod, mackerel (not bought especially!) and he's just not interested.

He farts. Oh boy does he fart. Every time he relaxes for a nap this odour creeps into the room and it's quite pungent. He's currently on Tesco Kitten kibble, but I'm wondering if a change might be a good idea. (He also won't eat wet food, only kibble.) Any recommendations?

Looking forward to your replies
Seacrow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
31-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #2

Re: Intro

Hi and welcome to catsey.
Congratulations on your new addition, a picture would be nice
I am a dog and cat person although we don't have any cats at the moment.
In answer to your questions, cats will choose where they want to sleep no matter how many beds you provide, often a cardboard box is the chosen place.
Some cats don't like fish so I wouldn't worry.
I think i'd be inclined to try different wet foods as well as kibble as a varied diet is good.
Not unheard of for cats to get wind but I think possibly unusual, could be his diet.
Keep asking any questions, that's what the forum is for

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
31-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

Hi Seacrow, and welcome to Catsey. Your wee girl sounds lovely. What's her name? Like Shelley, I ,too, am a dog and cat person, having bred English and Neo Mastiffs for a number of years when I was younger. I now have one mastiff and 5 cats (and a wee budgie).You will find that your cat will sleep anywhere SHE wants, so don't bother about too many fancy cat beds. A climbing tower and platform would probably go down well though - my cats love their one. I hope the two of you have a wonderful life together.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #4

Hi Seacrow! Lovely to hear that you've adopted this young cat ... I too would like to know her name and see a photo. I am known to do the slow blinking response to seeing a photo of a cat or kitten (Mad Cat Ladydom approaching!)

Shelley and dinky are right - a cat will choose where he or she wants to sleep in spite of being offered all sorts of comfy options. A bath sounds odd, but is obviously just the right place for your wee bundle of joy.

I'd look at her diet re the farting. Our Kizzy had "trumpet trousers" when we first adopted her and I understand completely about the smell - it is very powerful isn't it? I would at least try and get her used to adult kibble as it could be kitten food is already too rich for her. We finally found the perfect food for Kizzy - Royal Canin Digestive Comfort - I think it has recently been rebranded but it is quite expensive. Don't worry about not eating fish. The best idea is to find a good complete food and stick with it - changing diet can cause digestive upset.

We are a very small group now here on Catsey, so you are very welcome and please don't worry about asking questions, we love to help if we can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #5

Hi

Welcome to catsey

We have dogs & cats too

Definitely change of diet but whatever you choose do it gradually over a few days. Most cats like the crunchy tastevof dry food.

Supermarket brands arent usually the best quality foods for cats. We have three cats with sensitive digestion. We feed ProPlan Delicate. You can buy Iams in most supermarkets & its quite good quality.

Look forward to chatting with photos of your new baby & her name please

Cats owned: Moggie
04-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

A quick update, his name is Benjamin. We've now tried 5 wet foods, and he ain't having any. The kibble is now Royal Canin Kitten, and although he is less enthusiastic he's still putting it away and the odour is gone.
I'm no longer worried about him sleeping in the bath, because he's cleared my bedside cabinet and is sleeping there.
The snip'n'chip was done last week, and he's turned into a tree climbing enthusiast (being allowed out now).
Pictures will come as soon as I get access to our computer (OH decided to rearrange furniture, and hid many plug sockets, computer no longer has electricity).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #7

Hi and welcome to Catsey. Can only echo what the others have said, cats will and do sleep where they want, not necessarily where we think is comfy! Not all cats like fish! Re the wind, it is unusual for cats to pass wind like that, we did have one cat who did, but he had a sensitive tummy and needed food for sensitive tums! None of my other cats have ever been windy. Good luck with him. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats so love both, but secretly think of myself as more of a doggy person now.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
05-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #8

We've had 3 BSH all from Kitten and they have all farted like mad. They do stop when they get older!