Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #1

Flowers in January

At last! 3 winter seasons after planting my evergreen, winter flowering clematis is 'doing what it says on the tin'
Not hundreds of flowers - about 10 or 12 so far, but a very welcome sight at this time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #2

Re: Flowers in January

Very very pretty.
DM is you clematis in a tub or in the ground??? I can't for the life of me grow Clematis I know its head in the sun feet in the shade but I can't grow em

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #3

It's in the first planter from the house

like so.
So, it's in fairly new (3.5 year) standard compost in a 5 foot square planter, with a mixture of plants - nothing very exciting; a summer flowering large flower clematis, bulbs, lavender, summer bedding etc. It's against a west facing fence and is fairly sheltered.
So saying, I have the bright yellow, droopy headed, summer clematis up on the bank, and that is on poor, poor chalk and builders rubble, south facing and is rampant.
Maybe you just have to be patient?

(Do you plant them deep, like it says on the 'horticultural instructions'. About 8" below the soil level in the pot - so that if you get the dreaded clematis wilt it will revitalise from the buried stem)

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #4

Yep I plant 'em deep I follow the instructions religiously, whats sadder (family find extremely funny) when I go in the local excellent garden centre I use and stand anywhere near Clematis now the blokes who work there all say look there she is looking at another poor clematis to kill nothing like having faith in me is there. but they are right whatever I have brought I have killed.

Although neighbours seem able to grow them. Yet I can grow easily, roses, honeysuckle, jasmine maybe I should just settle for not being able to grow Cleamtis.

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #5

I forgot to say you have a lovely garden DM. I envy you.

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Yep I plant 'em deep I follow the instructions religiously, whats sadder (family find extremely funny) when I go in the local excellent garden centre I use and stand anywhere near Clematis now the blokes who work there all say look there she is looking at another poor clematis to kill nothing like having faith in me is there. but they are right whatever I have brought I have killed.

Although neighbours seem able to grow them. Yet I can grow easily, roses, honeysuckle, jasmine maybe I should just settle for not being able to grow Cleamtis.

You know what they say 'If at first you don't succeed, give up'!
Odd though

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum

You know what they say 'If at first you don't succeed, give up'!
Odd though
I have to say, I have given up now. killed to many to be reprieved

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I forgot to say you have a lovely garden DM. I envy you.
Ha - but that was when it was just done and tidy. Remember we have been blessed with a staffie puppy since then, so it is now decorated with 'Tuff Tires' in various states of destruction and the shingle is regularly sprayed everywhere when she does handbrake turns!

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

Its what they do DM just to make it more interesting get another Staffiie and watch two doing handbreak turns - niceeeeeeeeeeeee

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
25-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #10

DM - very pretty!!!! what a nice garden as well. I am hopefully going to do a bit to our garden this year