Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #11

Re: loosing weight

well i'll take a decent look at those links and decide where to go from ehre, am still going to see my doc anyway.
The expensive stuff is the actual "low carb" meals, soups,breads etc.

my dads doing the cereal diet, but i didnt think that would be good for me being diabetic, but lets face it, im prob only diabetic cos of my weight, although it runs in the family.
thansk for the help and advice thoguh

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #12

One tip if you do decide to do low carb.

Don't buy the "low carb" meals, soups, bread etc

Meals -make your own you then know exactly what has gone into them
Soup - again make your own - you can then freeze some

Don't forget a lot of these "low carb" replacement as well as being expensive are full of chemicals.

when I started low carbing I tried a low of the above stuff, a lot of it is very nasty tasting. There are a few items that are nice but I would avoid having them everyday.

The best tip is to eat clean everyday, just plain wholesome food. If you low carb properly you don't need to eat snacks as you don't crave them.

I know it is hard getting started on any good food eating plan. I am sure we are all here to help you and support youxxxxx

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #13

thanks emma, I've signed up for that first forum u gave the link for, looks great.
I have already put pasta into the slow cooker for tea tonight, What i think I will do is eat my normal stuff over weekend, and monday morning start low carbing it.
I have 3 weeks left until i see the nurse again for my BP check ( she worreid it too high at 140/89) and she said she'll weigh me agian then if i like, so will see what i can do in that month.

it's soooo hard, but if i can quit smoking in one week, i can do this! ( i gave up 2 years ago,mind u i did have bronchitis at the time lol, i get it every winter)

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #14

Good luck to you. I would have a good look around the website and research it over the weekend. The best advice I can give is eat clean, give it two weeks and see how you are going. Also good advice is to measure yourself before you start. I think I did neck, arms, bust, tummy, hips, bottom, thighs, and calfs. I have lost over 26 inches in total. I would recommend measuring yourself because sometimes the scales don't move a lot but you will find that you are sliming down and measuring yourself is a good way to check.

My username on there is Tigs33.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #15

I'll second that!! The low carb stuff is a rip off!! Hubby did the atkins with me and it worked wonders for him too . . . he's not overweight at all but it make him feel loads better and showed up his gluten intollerance which was excellent as we were beginning to suspect he had an ulcer

Thing is - you only have to completely cut stuff out for the 1st 2 weeks or so, then you can gradually re-introduce 'good' carbs back into your diet.

But I agree - keep off white carbs - brown pasta, brown rice and rye bread are great substitutes if you really can't bear giving them up all together - and the kids will soon get used to the change!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #16

I, personally, think a low GI regime is preferable and more natural than one which limits carbohydrate. I did quite a lot of research when my dad got diabetes (and all the attendant problems)
Have a look at this site. this is tesco who, apparently, can tailor a diet to your particular situation http://www.tescodiets.com/dietprofil...17&code=700500

I also think you should discuss this with your medical practice before launching in. In the meantime, start the day with a big glass of water (hot or cold) and build up your intake of water (tap or bottled still - not fizzy) till you're drinking 2litres (yes! 2 litres) a day. Doesn't take a lot of getting used to, you don't spend all day p-ing once your body gets into balance and everything benefits - your whole body and especially your skin.

That's it from Doctor Dinahsmum Good luck; we'll all add our support to help you along

sorry - one more thing. Agree with Emma about measurements. Good muscle weighs more than fat, so it doesn't matter (within reason ) what you weigh - just be fit. if you use some of the BMI measurements all the England Rugby team are obese - they look pretty fit to me!

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #17

ooh yeah therye fit!!!!! lol

ok, gonan buy tapemeasure at weekend, cut down on carbs until i research more and discuss with doctor, and then take it from there.
i CAN do it!!!! lol

I even got a weight loss hypnosis cd, not sure it works for weight loss but it good for getting me off to sleep!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #18

CJK I have no doubts you can do it It is just finding the right eating plan for yourself.

DM is right about drinking lots of water.

Also something I did was also cut down my portion size, I was eating as much as my other half so now I only put on my plate about 2/3rds his portion size which also helps.

If you feel very brave you could always write down ALL of the food you have eaten in a day, sometimes seeing exactly what you have eaten does make you realise where you have gone wrong.

Also drinking any alchohol (sp) won't help with weightloss

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #19

Another cheat is to use smaller plates - use a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate and your brain will be 'fooled' to a certain extent, if the food is nicely heaped! Looks so much more generous than a small portion looking lost on a big plate - that's bound to make you feel deprived!

I think I read recently that having soup (not a creamy one!) as a first course cuts the amount you go on to eat. A low salt stock cube with some diced veg and pre-cooked beans makes a quick and easy soup. Good for your lunch/minor meal too, with a chunk of 'rustic'/grainy bread.

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #20

Well us lots are full of excellent tips