Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

loosing weight

I am, once again, trying to loise a LOT of weight.
In the past ia hve done weight wtchers ( lost 3 pounds in 6 months)
slim fast- lost 2 stoens but put it all abck on again when started eating.

Anybody got any tips and idea?
I am diabetic, so it limits things now, I know what i should eat that healthy, and i do, i also do 20 minutes on an epilepitcal cycle (if that how u spell it). NAd i still dont loose weight.

asked nurse for help at doctos, she said join a support group, personally i think thats useless, been there done that!]

oh, and i ahve a min of 5 stones to loose, ideallly more but 5 will suffice lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #2

Re: loosing weight

Well I lost just over two stone a couple of years ago low carbing. I just cut out most white processed food. I do not eat junk food very often.

A typical days food for me would be

Breakfast - Bacon and scrambled egg
Lunch - salad and chicken or veg and some sort of protein (fish, meat)
Dinner - chicken/meat/fish with veg

Drinks - water, coffee with cream sweetener if needed, tea with milk

I normally try and keep my carb levels quite low, but I have a lot of vegetables and I don't really count these.

I started low carbing properly at the start off this week as I put on a little bit of weight over Christmas.

My starting weight at the beginning of the week was 10 stone 3 pounds, today I am 9 stone 13 pounds, ideally I want to be around 9 stone to 9 and a half stone.

A lot of people who I know low carb has also greatly improved their diabeties as this way of eating stabilises blood sugar levels. But I would advise that you check with your doctor first. If you wanted to do a low carb eating plan I would recommend drawing up a menu plan for say two weeks and get your doctor to ok it before you started.

One amazing thing I find with low carb is that your excess hunger goes completely. If you are interested I can point you to an excellent website and you would be totally amazed at some of the before and after pictures.

Good luck!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #3

I would give a big thumbs up to low-carbing; it lost heaps after having Dominik when I did Atkins. I'm thinking of trying the GI Diet which works on similar principles but is less stringent.

But as Emma says - just cutting out high starch and highly processed food and eating lots of vegetable and white meat/fish is a great, and healthy way to go. Drinking lots of water is also a must.

Emma - I'd be interested in seeing that website too as I need a bit of a kick up the pants at the moment, diet-wise!!!

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #4

Hi Yola, the website is http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/

It is a massive forum, there are some really really great people on there as well

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #5

just for inspiration I will post up a couple of links to some good threads

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=396562

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #6

another

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=401368

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #7

Should have mentioned that this forum is mainly US based but there are people of all over the world on it

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #8

This thread really does show what is possible

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=392628

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #9

oh thanks for those links, i will take a look.
I got an atkins det kit upstairs, book, menu cardsetc, but i just can not afford to buyt he stuff it says on there.
I dont eat white bread anyway, and have sweetner not sugar, but i do eat bread,pasta,rice,potatoes etc.

will see what i can come up with.
My diabetes is pretty good, ive been really strict with myself in last 6 months and started exercising, and am now off all medications, thank god, that metformin was rotten!
i still dont loose weight, but should havementioend b4 i have PCOS too, which i know doesnt help.

But i got to do it somehow.
the nurse mentioned some tablets, orlaf i think, she was going to prescribe me some, as i said id try anything to loose weight now, but then decided she wasnt going to cos they make u fart lots! so what? if it helps i wouldnt care.
I cant get to see a sympathetic doctor for 2 weeks, so wanted soem plans to discuss with her!

im sooooo fed up of being sooo overweight, i wont mention my weight here cos i am so depressed by it.

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #10

I find that my food bill has gone down quite a bit because I don't buy all of the junk that I did before. You don't have to buy expensive cuts of meat, chicken can be quite reasonable, fish also, pork is very cheap.

I also find that I don't eat as much as I use to, I find I am full up quite quickly.

I always think if you eat pasta, rice, bread a lot of this food has very very little nutrional goodness therefore your body can still be "looking" for those extra vitamins etc therefore you still stay hungry, I find that bread, potatoes, pasta bloat me out terribly, and half an hour later I want sometime else to eat.

You really need to decide on a plan and make sure you stick to it, that is where most people fail. It really does have to be a way of life.