Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
20-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

best wormer & flea treatment for Kittens

anyone know of the best wormers and flea treatment for kittens? also whats the best wormer and flea treatment for adult cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #2

Re: best wormer & flea treatment for Kittens

For kittens id definitely go to vets - when they are there for vaccination vets usually discuss flea & wormers & give health checks etc. Ask vet then re adults. I buy all that sort of thing off the vet.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: B & W
20-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

If you have the time and inclination, then it might be worth comparing prices between the vets and Morrisons Pharmacy. The latter does Frontline for fleas and Drontal for worms.

I don't have a Morrisons near me. I do have a vets who charge premium prices. I hope to be able to compare prices in a month or two.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

Some flea and wormers can be bought over the Internet but still need a prescription, which of course is charged for. I did ask my vet for a breakdown of charges for prescriptions which they supplied me with. In the end I decided that it was just as cost effective to go to the vet and buy from them.

Just an aside really - there is a scandal about people medicine that can be purchased online. I would just question the provenance of animal medicine purchased in the same way ....... something to have in mind I think.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: B & W
20-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Just an aside really - there is a scandal about people medicine that can be purchased online. I would just question the provenance of animal medicine purchased in the same way ....... something to have in mind I think.
An important aside!

Last two cats had both from the vets and both cats died of cancer to the tongue. Of course I cannot prove that there is a link. It's a pretty toxic environment we live in.

I did not like the Government TV ads that showed a bloke taking tablets then pulling a dead rat out of his mouth. We're not children.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBY Catalina
An important aside!

Last two cats had both from the vets and both cats died of cancer to the tongue. Of course I cannot prove that there is a link. It's a pretty toxic environment we live in.

I did not like the Government TV ads that showed a bloke taking tablets then pulling a dead rat out of his mouth. We're not children.
Eek - never saw that ad thankfully

Think you need to balance it up, some vets charge £10 for the prescription.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Our vets usually give advocate spot on for kittens- this does both round worm and fleas. As they mature they tend to give frontline for fleas and ticks and, either, drontal cat or profender spot on to treat tapeworms and round worms.