Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Soft stools & coughing

The soft stools - mushy for better way to describe them - hope youve all eaten, started last night, her movement this morning was the same & she hasnt been since. Generally speaking they both go once morning & last thing at night.

For past 4/5 nights through choice they have stayed out in the conservatory at night. Last night Amber insisted on staying in - two bed buddies last night. During early hours Amber woke me - thought she wanted out - opened window which leads into Plant room. She proceeded to "cough" or as i first thought to be sick but didnt bring anything up. She stayed out - they have their own wee snug beds in the sun room. Tim stayed in. Today heard same wee coughing noise in sun room, made my way up back stairs & she looked to me to be retching? Again nothing came up

Any ideas, if it wasnt for the soft stools i would wonder ?? Furball & if so - any suggestions? If she does it again &
stools remain soft probably vet visit in order.

Would welcome any advise/thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: Soft stools & coughing

Coughing and retching could well be trying to bring up a furball - it really is the season for it as they are all moulting like billy-oh in this hot weather.

As for the soft stools ............... I might try feeding a bit of bland food for a day or two to see if it helps - poached chicken or white fish and rice and see what happens.

In the USA you can buy a hairball remedy, I've tried looking it up (can't remember the name just now) but can't find a UK equivalent ......... there must be something though.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Katalax is very good for eliminating hairballs...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-s...ive-paste-p-27

Defurr UM is another product for hairballs, you can buy it as a paste or in packets of treats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

Mags remembered it; Katalax is right. It's Petromalt here in the States, really works. Apparently the taste is very pleasing all of mine but Patches would have eaten half a tube if I'd let them. Is she eating OK?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

My boys love Katalax....they would have the whole tube if I let them!!