Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #21

Re: Carrying on..

Thanks, guys.
Yes, he was very thorough. I liked the fact he had all the facilities in office and could do most things right then and there and get the results almost immediately.
I like our regular vet's bedside manner better but I think it probably would have taken several days to get as much info as we did in two hours at this vet. Not to say he has a bad bedside manner; he's just very brisk and to the point and talks very quickly..which I guess is what you would want if your animal is in a critical state. It was very much like an emergency clinic in that way. He wanted to get to the bottom of things before he had a good chat. I could see how that'd be good, it's just different for me is all.
This place is closer and easier to get in. I think I will keep our regular vet when there is nothing critical and we can afford time but go to this new vet when we need answers straight away and to get in very quickly.
I did feel more at ease once we got the xrays back as he did a quick biology lesson with me. It was a little overwhelming but he seemed passionate which is what you want.

Now to figure out how to get Kuan Yin off the tops of the kitchen cupboards for her morning antibiotics...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #22

Amazing that this vet had all the facilities to get the results back so quickly. The practice I go to does do FIV FeLV screening on the premises but I think anything else has to go to an outside lab. Having said that, the results still come through more quickly than if it was a human being tested for something! Volume, I suspect.

PS Good luck getting KY down to take her meds!

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #23

Yes our regular vet is like that. They do bloods in office but because of volume it is about one to two business days to get back to you. And with xrays they prefer you withhold food and then drop them off in the morning and come back in the evening to pick them up..and they usually reserve those kinds of procedures for Fridays only.

I think she's decided that the tops of the cupboards is her safe place right now while she doesn't feel good. I may have to try some trickery or get a ladder to get to her as she's due for her Amoxicillin.
Hestia took her pill fine but ears were back and she cursed me with lots of vigor..at least she's spunky still

ETA: The ladder worked. That was an interesting experience...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #24

Glad they're both home; good sign I think that Hestia is swearing at you and KY is trying to avoid her meds! The new vet sounds very thorough and very organized/efficient. Sort of an exra arrow in your quiver when you have an emergency and need to be seen quickly! Hugs to you and cuddles to the girls (and Solomon, of course!)

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #25

Thanks, Eileen.
Well, everyone's eaten breakfast. Kuan Yin only had maybe a tablespoon but I'd say that's pretty good considering how her tummy must feel and at least it's something.
It's funny how Solomon's gotten his appetite just now..maybe he was just copying the girls??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #26

Could be he just sensed the stress from the girls and you yesterday ... they are so perceptive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
15-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #27

Hope they both recover quickly Tink, I don't envy you having to meds into them though! I'd love to have a vet like yours that did so much in house and so quickly too, I think all tests get sent away to labs from our vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
15-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #28

glad the new vet had it sussed quickly! sending the girls well wishes to get better soon x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
15-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #29

Sending you and your furry girls hugs.Hope everything gets sorted soon.Good luck with the meds.They seem to know when you want to give them.

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #30

Thanks everyone.
Hestia is just fine now. Kuan Yin not her playful self but she has taken to nibbling here and there several times since this morning so I'm optimistic. I put a nice, soft towel for her to lie on up on top of the kitchen cupboards which she is using right now.
I forgot to tell you--the staff there prefers to just let them be loose in the exam room and at one point I looked over and the two girls were huddled together in the corner. These two have never cuddled or anything so they must have been pretty intimidated to buddy up as they aren't exactly best friends at home. Poor babies. Both did the same thing when their temp was taken..bury their face into my stomach. Poor girlies.
Solomon is a little confused right now as neither of his playmates feel like entertaining him and he gets a strict swat if he tries so I am filling in best I can