Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #11

Re: "Why are 'pedigrees' any better than moggies" (breeding debate)

Personally, I dont think that pedigrees are better than moggies but I am not a fan of breeding either. More and more pedigrees are ending up in rescues.
I am sure the Breeders here will correct me if i am wrong, but I think that reputable breeders have a moral obligation to either take in or help rehome kittens that they have sold, but for what ever reason the new owner cannot keep.
I am certain that there are breeders who will uphold that obligation and there are those that wouldnt/dont.
Indescriminate breeders are just that.
I would like to see some sort of licensing act whereby breeders have to have their kittens microchipped, a fine put in place for any of them that find themselves in the hands of a rescue.
This doesnt just apply to cats but to many animals being bred. May help end the sale of animals in petshops for one thing and ofcourse there would have to be a mandatory law on spey and neutering pets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #12

I dont think they are "better" than moggies, but most are more responsibly bred and reared, with health tested parents. Most moggies are bred from god knows which tom cat who stands more than a fair chance of having one of the lethal diseases that they freely pass on, thats enough IMO.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #13

[quote=Elaine;449887]
I am sure the Breeders here will correct me if i am wrong, but I think that reputable breeders have a moral obligation to either take in or help rehome kittens that they have sold, but for what ever reason the new owner cannot keep.
I am certain that there are breeders who will uphold that obligation and there are those that wouldnt/dont.
Indescriminate breeders are just that.
[quote]

Perhaps I have had good luck but all the breeders I know will have their kittens back - the breeder I bought Mister from also offered to refund my money if I had to bring him back but she is incredibly caring and her main interest is "the breed" and the homes her kittens go to. We've been emailing every few days and she is so helpful and seems grateful I am keeping her up to date on him!

I have to say I have encountered a number of people who when they can't keep their pedigree will not go back to the breeder but put the cat in a rescue - there is little a breeder can do about that realistically. There are people who turn out to be bad owners as well.

I have seen breeders make people sign "contracts" saying they cannot rehome a cat or kitten but that it must go back to the breeder for "free". Not only are these contracts are unenforceable and in fact I think they can put people off sometimes going back for help and advice ......

I adore moggies and the best cat I have ever owned and is still missed every day was my little farm kit. But I also adore Selkirks a breed which I stumbled across when I rehomed one from someone I know through the horsey world - he needed more one on one and all I paid for him was petrol money for his delivery. I did go on and buy another because I adore the breed so much - they are laidback and loving and everyone who has met mine are smitten with them

Both my peds come from families where their parents and grandparents etc have been screened for PKD, are tested annually for all other nasties and al other defects they can be tested for. That is the attraction I think for people who buy peds as pets from reputable breeders - they can see the families, parents, know that the kits are free from things such as hereditary heart conditions and PKD and there is the breeder who should and often do help them after their purchase.

I do not think peds are "better" than moggies but the normal system of ped breeding by a reputable breeder is better than that which oftens results in baby moggies - normally (not always) unplanned or as a result of failure to neuter and kits getting out with no health checks or blood testing or often expertise of the "breeder".

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: British Shorthair
06-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #14

I wouldn't say pedigrees are any better than moggies at all, but I think we should all have the freedom of choice. I wanted indoor cats so chose a breed that was happy inside.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #15

Lian - I couldn't agree more. That is why I chose persians; sedate and happy to spend most of their time indoors

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lian
I wouldn't say pedigrees are any better than moggies at all, but I think we should all have the freedom of choice. I wanted indoor cats so chose a breed that was happy inside.
But not all moggies object to being mostly indoor cats! Mine were harness-trained and enjoyed walks outdoors and in the garden, but were equally happy inside ......

The three pedigrees I've had: Siamese, Aby and Singapura were also harness trained....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #17

I have a moggy who is harness trained and goes outside but as we live on a main road it would be selfish of me not to protect him from being run over.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
07-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #18

It's an interesting debate and one that I don't think has an answer, as ultimately it is down to personal choice. I don't think that pedigrees are any better than moggies, but the same as Lian and Yola - I chose a pedigree as I wanted an indoor cat and also I wanted to get into showing.

I also agree with what Soupie says about breeders' contracts not being enforceable. I have found more and more as I've been helping the Rags Rehome Group that the cats we end up with did come from reputable breeders and were sold with contracts, but for whatever reason the new owner choses not to return the cat to the breeder (or even approach the breeder) and hands them over to us (or tries to sell them, as is more often seen). This is unfortunately out of the control of the breeder, unless a scheme is brought in as Elaine suggests.

In the breeders' defence - generally once we advise them that we have one of their cats they will either offer to take them back, or to pay for their neutering and/or other vets costs at the least.

Sometimes breeders cannot do enough to protect their kittens and tbh that scares me to death. I will always want to know what happens to Lily's babies and that they are safe and well and much loved pets and still with the people I sold them to.

I know that Red's breeders experienced a huge problem when they sold a male kitten to a lady on the non-active register (i.e. not for breeding) and said that they wouldn't hand over his GCCF papers until she had provided them with evidence that he had been neutered. She never did this, as she didn't care about having the papers, and she advertised this cat as an unregistered stud cat. She was only interested in making money from this poor cat and despite all their best efforts (and the fact that she had signed a "contract") there was nothing the breeders could do.

It's people like this who then end up in the position that Az describes - selling half pedigree and half moggie kittens and for as long as people are buying these kittens it will continue.

Sorry - that was a long rant!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengals
Sweeney Todd is Male
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #19

I'm with Jac on this one......Well put