Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
04-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #1

"Why are 'pedigrees' any better than moggies" (breeding debate)

I know someone who has bred a bengal (unregistered) with a normal moggie and sold the kittens

And in a recent discussion she said, "why shouldn't I breed, why are pedigrees any better than crosses?"

I was telling her about the homes she is taking away from cats in rescue, and how breeding without knowing parentage can lead to all sorts of health issues.

So I guess it's an interesting thought - why should pedigree breeders be 'allowed' to breed, and cross breeders not?

Discuss

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #2

Re: "Why are 'pedigrees' any better than moggies" (breeding debate)

Talk about putting the cat amongst the pigeons Az lol!!

Catsey Veteran

04-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #3

I suppose the technical answer is they should be able to, but the moral one is, no they shouldn't. As you say, there are so many moggies in rescues already, this is just compounding the problem.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
04-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #4

But this person is questioning the moral standing - "why are pedigrees any better than moggies?"

Catsey Veteran

04-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #5

I don't know tbh. Is it more that pedigrees cost a lot of money and the breeders are more likely to sell them to vetted homes! It's a very difficult one to answer

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #6

In my experience whether Dog or Cat if the person has the money they get what they want.
As for are Moggies/pedigree's any better than each other. What's a Labradoodle? A Heinz!!! Now I have put the cat amongst the pigeons. But, when a person buys a pedigree they know what they want. That's why they go for a specific breed. Hopefully they wont carry any genetic problems. With pedigree to moggy you don't know do you. In saying that, Moggies and Heinz 57's do have longer life spans. So which is best? Ha chicken or egg situation.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
04-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #7

The reason I got Rosie and Pheobe from a rescue was that I didn't want to support indiscriminate breeding (and having been to see moggie kittens for sale privately I think there is a lot of it going on and the cats and kittens are not wormed, flea treated, vaccinated etc etc, the cat is just popping out litter after litter for the owner to sell).

Having said that, if nobody bred from their moggies then those of us who prefer moggies wouldn't have cats!

Personally I think it is a bit odd to cross a moggie with a pedigree cat and charge more for the kittens than moggie kittens would cost. At the end of the day the kittens are still moggies!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: BSH x2
swerv is Male
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #8

i agree with people have said above but would like to add that ive too seen bengals/BSH crossed with moggies and people charging up to £100 for the kittens.

breeders usually take care in breeding and select the cats to keep the best going.

pedigrees are not better than moggies its just a choice you make when getting a cat, i chose the BSH because i love the breed and think they have wonderfull personallity.

i fail to see why people breed a pedigree with a moggie what is the point? they obviously got a pedigree for a reason.

i could rant on forvever.......but i wont lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #9

I would like to know why, if pedigrees each have certain issues that are known, ie. Fran has mentioned labradors have hip problems (correct me if I have got this wrong), then why are pedigrees seen as better than a cross breed that has no known health issues and fortunes are charged for them? Know there are lots of other health issues with other breeds of cats and dogs but just cant think of any at the minute!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #10

I think the reason moggies dont have known health problems is because the parents have never been health checked. Possibly "father unknown"

With most people being responsible these days and having there cats spayed/neutered. Kittens are more difficult to come by. On to the bandwagon jumps Mr or Mrs lets make a quick buck. I have seen moggies advertised for over £100 because kittens are getting like hens teeth. That is unless you buy a pedigree and not everyone has that kind of money.

I could list loads of problems with both pedigree cat and dog breeds but lets face it they are all man made.