Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
13-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #1

Values and Christmas

Not sure if this is in the right place.

I've been thinking about Christmas, Past Christmases and the kids. I'm wondering if you agree that values seem to have changed?

Ceilidh has not got a tv in her bedroom, she doesn't have a nintendo DS (at the moment) but gets to play computer games on the PC for a little while at a time. We play board games with her and card games.
Our TV goes off at meal times, we sit round the table and "talk" about our day.

Just recently she has gone to a couple of friends from school's houses. The kids seem to have everything from TV's to there own laptops.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #2

Re: Values and Christmas

As a non-mom, maybe I shouldn't comment on this, but I think you're raising her with good values! Rampant consumerism has gone wild, kids seem to want it all earlier and earlier.....

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #3

I agree Eileen. They seem to grow up so quickly. Some of Ceilidh's friends even have mobile phones...at 6
It makes me wonder if there parents buy them all these things to get them out there hair.

Ceilidh has written her wish list to Santa. She asked if we had to pay for the presents. I said yes but Santa chooses which one's she gets. His fairy's keep an eye on how she behaves. (think this will be the last Santa year). She put a lot of thought into it at the end she said she would also like an nintendo DS but with the other things that would be being greedy. (bless)
She's asked for dolls, games, make up, and a CD player .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #4

It is hard because as they get older, all their friends have things. The school my kids go to expect them to have access to a pc and internet for homework. All teenagers have a games console, and all have TV's, mobiles etc.

My kids are kitted out, but as teenagers I think it is more acceptable for them to have these things. I would not allow them to go out without their mobiles.

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

I know Donna I've been there as a single parent. It is hard. I never gave the boys a tv in the bedroom as soon as they asked for it or there consoles ect. They had to wait and work for it. That way I felt they appreciated it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #6

You sound like a wonderful mum to me, Jac, and she's obviously learned her values from you. I thought that remark about the Nintendo and being greedy was very touching...

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #7

Thank you Eileen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #8

Sean wont get anything else big from me now as I feel he has everything he possibly could want so Christmas from now on is easier on the pocket (or should I say credit card). His TV and pc were second hand. His mob was from an upgrade I had on my contract, and his PS3 I will be paying for for years to come.

Emma has smaller things, portable TV, Nintendo DS etc as she is not AS electronically minded. I have just swapped her pc for my laptop so suppose at 13 she seems to have a lot. Her mobile is my old one.

Again, I am not buying her anything"big" as she can make do till she is working lol.

Catsey Veteran

13-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #9

Donna that's what I used to do. Some of the things were new but not all of them.

When Darryle started working he came in on his first pay day and handed me £100. He told me to buy something for me that I didn't need.

If they dont get it all handed on a plate I think they appreciate it as they grow up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #10

You sound like a good, responsible mum to me Jac. When my children were as young as Ceilidh they didn't have everything either. Now that they are older, my daughter is 17 and my son was 20 yesterday they do have everything in their bedrooms: TV, PC, DVD, stereo, they both have mobile phones, etc. However, many of these items they bought themselves once they went out to work part-time. It is good for them to realise they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and they appreciate things more if they have earned the money to buy them.