Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #21

Re: Overpopulation of cats - What Can We Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I didnt realise you were a breeder Charlie, but am interested to learn. How do you make a breed better? Are breeders mainly there for showing animals?

I will admit it is not a world I have ever looked into so would be interested to know more.

I do love Ragdolls, and would one day like to own a pedigree, so understand there is a need for a certain amount of breeding.
I'm quite new to it all myself Donna I got into breeding because I got into showing and I love it!!! Showing is so addictive and once you start you get to know what the judges like and what they are looking for and I suppose that part of breeding is trying to create that "perfect" cat (but obviously not at the expense of health or temperament).

For example - my Lily has a fairly small head for a ragdoll and so the stud she will go to has a large head, which should balance out her "fault". If she had poor eye colour, then I would put her to a cat with very deep eye colour, and so on.

I do think that there will always be a place for cat breeders, so long as there are cat shows and demand for pedigree kittens.

That doesn't mean that I don't realise that there are bad breeders out there and some who have the wrong ethics.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #22

So a breeder would be happy to check licences for potential owners, and perhaps even have kittens neutered before release to their new homes? I assume the cost of neutering could be added to the price the new owner pays... and as such would deter a lot of people from just wanting a kitten that day?

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #23

Quote:
So a breeder would be happy to check licences for potential owners, and perhaps even have kittens neutered before release to their new homes? I assume the cost of neutering could be added to the price the new owner pays... and as such would deter a lot of people from just wanting a kitten that day?
Yep!

Some breeders are already starting to neuter their kittens before they go to new homes. It's done a lot in America. Over here there has been some controvosy about whether it's a good idea to neuter as young as 12 weeks. Some vets say that there is no risk, but others seem to think there is.

The only other alternative would be for the breeders to keep the kittens longer, until they were old enough to be neutered at 5/6 months old.

Good breeders would be more than happy to do this and make sure that the kittens go to fantastic homes!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #24

I think an agreement to neuter when the kittens are older would be open to abuse, so not a good idea.

If neutering can be done early then that is the answer. I think having to wait six months for your kitten is a long time, and very costly to the breeder, which would then put the price up even more...

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #25

Quote:
I think an agreement to neuter when the kittens are older would be open to abuse, so not a good idea.

If neutering can be done early then that is the answer. I think having to wait six months for your kitten is a long time, and very costly to the breeder, which would then put the price up even more...
I agree, Donna.

Here is what the GCCF (Governing Council of Cat Fancy) has to say about it.............

http://www.gccfcats.org/neuter.html

So, that would sort out the pedigrees - just need to sort out the moggy breeders now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I'm quite new to it all myself Donna I got into breeding because I got into showing and I love it!!! Showing is so addictive and once you start you get to know what the judges like and what they are looking for and I suppose that part of breeding is trying to create that "perfect" cat (but obviously not at the expense of health or temperament).

For example - my Lily has a fairly small head for a ragdoll and so the stud she will go to has a large head, which should balance out her "fault". If she had poor eye colour, then I would put her to a cat with very deep eye colour, and so on.

I do think that there will always be a place for cat breeders, so long as there are cat shows and demand for pedigree kittens.

That doesn't mean that I don't realise that there are bad breeders out there and some who have the wrong ethics.
I have showed dogs in 4 breeds over the last 18yrs, I love it too, never bred a litter of puppies though. I find it more pleasing to choose a puppy from a well bred litter, from lines I know and like, and watch it grow, same would be with a cat, I have never felt the inclination to breed more myself. Different strokes I guess, I understand people wanting to produce a line for themselves.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I have showed dogs in 4 breeds over the last 18yrs, I love it too, never bred a litter of puppies though. I find it more pleasing to choose a puppy from a well bred litter, from lines I know and like, and watch it grow, same would be with a cat, I have never felt the inclination to breed more myself. Different strokes I guess, I understand people wanting to produce a line for themselves.
Dawn.
I know what you mean, Dawn, but each to their own I guess. I will produce well bred litters, from lines that hopefully people will know and like. All good breeders have to start somewhere!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I know what you mean, Dawn, but each to their own I guess. I will produce well bred litters, from lines that hopefully people will know and like. All good breeders have to start somewhere!
Yes I agree they do, and finding your foundation queen/bitch can be really hard, my friend has Dobermanns, she had 3 bitches before she considered the third one was good enough to found her kennel on. Thing was she had a house full of pets by then!! wouldnt of parted with them for anything though.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Yes I agree they do, and finding your foundation queen/bitch can be really hard, my friend has Dobermanns, she had 3 bitches before she considered the third one was good enough to found her kennel on. Thing was she had a house full of pets by then!! wouldnt of parted with them for anything though.
Dawn.
Oh, you just can't resist a little dig!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #30

Who in their right mind keeps 16 GD pups until they are 13 weeks old?

also puppy packs & insurance usually don't cost the breeder anything.