Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
09-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

Overpopulation of cats - What Can We Do?

okay I have started this thread in the hope we can have a positive discussion about what we can do.

This is what I would like to do:

I would like to work with my council to introduce compulsory neutering of all pets. I would like all breeders to be registered and I would also like the introduction of a pet license scheme where the money goes back into animal welfare.

I know this is no easy task but its a start - after all the current situation is not working - so changes need to be made somewhere.

What do you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
09-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #2

Re: Overpopulation of cats - What Can We Do?

I think licensing is a great idea.

I think neutering is a great idea. But as I asked earlier, when do we allow some moggies to breed? who decides this? or is the future in only owning pedigree cats? I for one couldn't afford this and although I love all cats I love moggies as they are unique and their own kind. would this mean no more moggies ever?

Almost a Veteran Member

09-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

I don't think it means the end of moggies altogether - just say the scheme worked and it helped to reduce the population dramatically - then you would go to a reputable breeder for your moggy cat or kitten - knowing they had been bred form disease free cats and given a stable and safe environment to be born into

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #4

Well done Emm!!!

Let's get back to something positive!!!

I think that licencing is a great idea. If we had to pay a licence to keep a pet we might not think so quickly about doing it.

Compulsory neutering sounds like a wonderful idea, but how would it work in practice??

I know that some breeders are starting to consider keeping their kittens longer and having them neutered before they go to new homes, but how could you enforce this in the moggy world??

Catsey Veteran

09-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #5

I do think it's a great idea and I do think its the only way forward. What can we practically do then? There are enough of us to have a say and I think we should

Almost a Veteran Member

09-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I think that licencing is a great idea. If we had to pay a licence to keep a pet we might not think so quickly about doing it.

Compulsory neutering sounds like a wonderful idea, but how would it work in practice??

I know that some breeders are starting to consider keeping their kittens longer and having them neutered before they go to new homes, but how could you enforce this in the moggy world??

The compulsory neutering could be linked to the license in some way. Say for example you want a kitten - you apply first of all for your license - you would have to show the license to the registered breeder. There could be a computer data system that automatically sends notice of needing proof that neutering has been done.

Okay I know this sounds like very unrealistic - but if we break it down into councils and have voluntary workers helping - also the money collected should go to help funding the programme. Maybe have the RSPCA and SSPCA involved with enforcing it - punishments for those who don't go with the scheme. Not money fines but maybe community service in they have to go to shelters and help work in them?

Education as well very important. Local papers could dedicate a column for the importance of why this scheme is necessary - local radio as well could be involved. Schools should be involved.....

Almost a Veteran Member

09-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
I do think it's a great idea and I do think its the only way forward. What can we practically do then? There are enough of us to have a say and I think we should

I think what we can do is work in our own council areas. If you could set up a team of volunteers - and get in touch with your local MP then you could draft up a plan of action.

Things don't change overnight - poeple are resilient sometimes to change - but all it needs is for one person to start and others WILL follow.

There is no such thing as CAN'T only WON'T

Catsey Veteran

09-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #8

You have a lot of excellent ideas that I think are really good. Yes education is schools is very necessary. I think some shock pics would really work as they do with underage drinking and road accidents. Also education on what owning an animal really entails as I don't think people understand the costs and the time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
09-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #9

Great ideas Emm. Just having a think about it all...............

Almost a Veteran Member

09-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #10

LOL yes a LOT to think about!