Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #11

Re: Truth or a story?

Kazz, if you read my thread yesterday about Precious the cat, you'll know how I feel, Precious had a RTA, but my parents told me she'd run away. To spare me, I suppose. I was in my late teens when I heard the truth,....t slipped out in conversation..... and I felt bitter at having been lied to, and as I said to Fran yesterday in the thread, it still bothers me after all these years! I hope they tell them the truth..!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #12

I think they should definitely tell the children the truth; death is a certain part of life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #13

Truth - above all else. Apart from the fact it teaches kids to disguise/bend the truth, death is a part of life and should be openly discussed.

When Darcy died in May, Dominik was upset alongside me - he was in the room when I came in and found Darcy, and experience my shock and pain - I didn't hide it from him.

We cried together and I explained to him what death was. He does kind of grasp the idea, even at 3 1/2 (at the time), and talks about it often as a means of developing that understanding. I feel strongly your neighbours are denying their children an important learning experience.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
08-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #14

i cant understand why they just dont tell there children the truth

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
08-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #15

Children deserve to know the truth!

Childhood is a preperation for adulthood. It isn't easy talking about death - but it is a part of life and something you shouldn't hide from children In most cases children view death totally different from adults any-way.

As a child I had to go through this many times and it was heart breaking - and I know it was really difficult for my parents to see us that way. But to have been lied to would have been far worse - plus if they had told us one of them had ran away we would have looked and looked and talked about looking for them - my parents would never had gotten any peace!

I hope they decide to tell them the truth - how can you raise kids telling them not to lie and then go and do it yourself to them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
31-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #16

Gosh, I could never tell a child a lie like that. What if they then believes that there was a chance that their dog would come back? That's just.. Cruel.

I was raised around pets, and my parents were honest, and I think that's why I'm so involved with pets as I am now. Because I knew of their health problems if they had any, and I often went to veterinary appointments, and it allowed me to learn things from a young age.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
31-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #17

The truth is definitely the best option. Children have to learn to deal with death at sometime and to tell them he had run away just leaves open for them to believe he could come back. They need to learn how to grieve properly and there is nothing wrong with that. I feel that sometimes adults underestimate the way children can cope with the situation.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
15-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #18

We had a boxer years ago who went to live with someone else due to my son's disability and her being too boisterous around him.

We kept in touch with the new owners and visited often and had pictures sent etc. Sadly Sophie developed Kidney disease and became ill and then had to be PTS. Her new owner rang me and told me and then it was down to me to tell my sons.

I sent him an email from Sophie. She told him she had had to go to heaven as she was really poorly. She told him heaven was a lovely place and she felt so much better being there and how she wasnt ill any more and very happy.

Of course he was initially upset but he got over it by believing she was happy and no longer suffering or poorly.

Me, I was an emotional wreck sobbing and crying typing the email but it worked and saved my children so much endless grief and heartache in the end it was well worth it.

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #19

Sarah, what a lovely solution! I am very impressed at you for coming up with that...