Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby, Tortie, Tortie Exotic?
28-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #1

Aborting Kittnes?

I was talking to someone today and i told them my cat was a month pregnant and she had bred with the neighbors tom the day i moved up to christchurch. i was going to get her speyed but after she got out and bred with him i didn't bother thinking about speying her till the kittens where 5weeks old, but this person told me this is irresponsible and theyre moggy kittens so i should take her to the vet now and spey her, she also told me some vets spey right up to labour! i was so shocked to hear this, i think it is wrong and cruel!

p.s i put this thread in Debates, i thought it might be a debatable subject.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #2

Re: Aborting Kittnes?

Some people do have strong feelings about having moggy litters; but I feel that's a personal choice and entirely up to you. If you're able to take care of the kittens and arrange for them to go to good homes (hopefully with a spay/neuter agreement!), then I'd let her pregnancy continue. But do have her spayed when it's time. Have you found a good vet in Christchurch? You might want to take her in for a checkup to see if everything is going well. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #3

I know that this is a subject which raises a lot of emotions. For my 2p's worth, I think it is wrong to spey a cat who is already pregnant, unless there is a danger to the mums health. As long as you make sure that the kittens all have good homes and that they and mum will be speyed as soon as old enough. Good luck and as dandysmom said, find a good vet who can advise you better.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
28-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #4

So baby moggies are less worthy than pedigree? I think once it is too late and the babies are on the way I would go ahead as long as they go to good homes. I personally think there are way too many cats and dogs being bred and would stop everybody from selling them for profit - if someone loves the breed that much they could just have one litter and find excellent homes for them, why should they need to charge. I know people who make a good living out of breeding and I think it is totally wrong but that is quite another debate!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
28-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #5

Kitty, my cat is pregnant too and it's the result of an accidental mating. She is a pedigree and I did consider for a split second having the kittens aborted. This was for health reasons though (see my other threads) and I discussed this at great length with my vet.
It is true that the kittens can be aborted and the womb removed right up to the time of birth, but I'm not sure how this would affect any creature psychologically and there is no research into that.
Alternatively, there are drugs that can be used to abort the kittens, but they induce labour too and would mean that the cat would have to pass (give birth) to something - whether or not it resembled a kitten would depend on the stage of the pregnancy.
It is an interesting debate and I do agree that there are far too many cats in rescue centres waiting to be rehomed, but I also think that once the cat is pregnant you should let nature take its course, find good homes for the babies and get mum neutered asap afterwards.
Good luck!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
28-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #6

Personally I would abort all accidental litters as they were not planned, therefore not ideal. Its how I feel, too many in rescue.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
28-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #7

As a breeder of Persians I have to disagree with your view that you make a profit. If it is done correctly and all your cats are looked after properly, that is studs, queens and neuters as well as the kittens you are lucky if you break even. I do it to try and improve the breed and I stick to all the GCCF rules and regulations. My kittens do not leave me till a minimum of 13 weeks, they have had all their vaccinations, are registered come with 6 weeks insurance and an extensive kitten pack. The kitten pack is a full starter pack I have put together consisting of food, 2 x stainless feed bowls, feeding mat, food storage tin, litter, litter tray and scoop, a blanket, toys, a book, a cat carrier and a specific booklet on the care of your Persian kitten that I have written. All my kittens are sold with a very strict contract that gives me the right to take back the kitten at any point if the contract is not adhered too and unfortunately I have had to do this on one occassion. If sold as a pet the contract states that the kitten must be neutered at 6 months of age and I do not let the paperwork go until I have got signed and stamped veterinary proof of this. My cats and kittens are fed on Royal Canin and not a cheap food. I keep an account book and I can assure you that my expenditure always outways any money I get from the sale of kittens. The pleasure I get from it is immense and I have made some lovely friends from the people that have bought my babies. I am still in touch with everyone that has a Tilsie baby and my help and advice is lifelong.
I do understand that there are breeders out there that do not treat there animals well and cut corners wherever, that do not follow the GCCF and sell unregistered kittens. These people probably do make a profit but genuine, responsible breeders do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
So baby moggies are less worthy than pedigree? I think once it is too late and the babies are on the way I would go ahead as long as they go to good homes. I personally think there are way too many cats and dogs being bred and would stop everybody from selling them for profit - if someone loves the breed that much they could just have one litter and find excellent homes for them, why should they need to charge. I know people who make a good living out of breeding and I think it is totally wrong but that is quite another debate!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #8

Could I just jump in here, before too much fur flies, and point out that the post was started by a very new member. I always think it's worth waiting a little while in such circumstances, to ensure we don't have the joy of a troll amongst us.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
28-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #9

I don't wish to offend anyone about the cat/dog breeding thing it is just something I feel very strongly about. I was mostly involved with dogs and I do know several breeders who lived on their earnings. Litters were born in outhouses etc (also know cat breeders who do not rear kittens in their own homes).

If you pick up something like Loot anytime of the week there are several hundred adverts for litters of kittens/pups. I don't believe they all get good homes and yes there are some very respectable breeders but as long as people see a profit in breeding pets we are always going to be overrun. Cross breed puppies now bring as much as pure pedigrees. Something really has got to be done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Personally I would abort all accidental litters as they were not planned, therefore not ideal. Its how I feel, too many in rescue.
Dawn.

Sorry, dont want to get into a fight over it but I am with Borderdawn on this one. Too many cats looking for homes and not enough homes to go round. Moggy and Pedigree.