Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
24-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #21

Re: Compulsory microchipping of cats and dogs...

We find peole dont like the idea of that big needle being stuck in their pet awake. We actively book microchips to be done at the same time as second vacc, we are also running a new scheme that allows your pet to be chipped at a discounted rate if they are having another procedure done, ie a neuter or other op. This is proving really popular among the clients and almost all the non chipped pets are leaving the practice chipped

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
13-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #22

Re: Compulsory microchipping of cats and dogs...

In our country dogs born after the year 2003 must by law have a microchip, but cats don't have to...
I think it is more difficult to control cats because there are a lot of semi feral cats and even if you know who the owner is, you don't have any proof...
About annual fees for keeping cats...I must say I don't agree with it that much...For people we have free doctors and medications here in SLO but the problem is that some people are spending more money then they are paying to support this system. And than there are huge waiting lines (for example if you are diagnosed with cancer you need to wait for up to a year to get treatment. Of course if you have money, you can speed up the process. While the idea of free doctors that would also treat poor people is good, in reality it just doesn't work. Cause people are wating for so long that a lot of them die before they are given any treatment...The ones who can afford it go to doctors in Austria or to private doctors.
And if that goes for people - what do you think would happen to animals?
Communist ideas are good by itself but sadly they never seem to work well in practice...
I also wouldn't agree about spaying all the cats...(My cats are spayed). I recently read a report from Australia and it was very interesting. They spayed all the pet moggies and now if they want moggies they can only get kittens from feral cats who are genetically different from pet cats. These cats are more wild, not so friendly and I mean why should you want a cat like that? (I am talking about feral cats that have been feral for more generations).
The problem is that irresponsible owners wouldn't spay their cats anyway and ferals would still remain. I am all for spaying feral cats ( I help my local shelter to catch them so they can be spayed and returned back), but not necessarily for spaying all pet cats that aren't purebred.