Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #1

Badly treated kittens

I'm wondring what your opinion on this is. I know of a little kitten in my street that wanders all around here every day. I reckon he is around 4 1/2 months old. He is such a skinny little thing (and I know one of my neighbours is sneaking him food). He is out in all weathers and have no idea who's cat he actually is. He does have a collar on (if you can call it that). I have a friend whos relative is on the lookout for a grey cat (he's grey with beautiful green eyes), now do I help arrange for this little kit to 'disappear' to a home where he will be loved or leave him in his owners 'care'. I take it the owner is the same person who has his mother who is a tortie who wanders about (and this is her second litter of kittens since I moved here less than a year ago). I want to go with my gut feeling here but am undecided. Opinions please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #2

Re: Badly treated kittens

Go for it.
Don't let anyone see you.
If challenged later say 'what - but he was a stray. You saw the condition he was in'. Take pics of him when you kidnap him, just in case there is any comeback (there won't be).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #3

This is a very difficult subject matter. It could be that the kitten is naturally slender and not neglected at all. However, you're there and witnessing the situation 1st hand.

I hesitated several years ago when faced with a similar dilemma; tiny, boney cat owned by a herion-addict woman on the next street. I sought opinions from CP and RSPCA both of whom said I had no right to take it. I left it, and never saw it again (it did really seem in a bad way). I regret this hesitation for ever.

So I'd say, go with what your gut instinct tells you.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
21-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

This is a very tricky situation, as it is illegal, and it is something I have moral issues with - I would love for one of my neighbours cats to 'disappear'. The other prob is that these kind of people generally just go and get another to replace it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #5

I was faced with a similar situation a while ago at work. A kitten was "owned" by a girl upstairs in a flat but she was left to wander with no collar and by busy main roads. I didnt do anything as my work colleagues said I would of been a thief.

Unfortunately this poor kitten disappeared. I just hope she was picked up by a kind stranger, and not killed on the main road

Looking back I wish I had now taken her.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
21-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #6

I had the same situation a few years ago..two cats were out in all winds and weathers ..as I was going out one day,I stopped and smoothed one, it was very thin.I thought if I see it on my way home I would pick it up and give it a home..I never seen them again..
I would say go for it .because if something happens to them later you would probably regret not doing anything as I have.

john

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 gorgous mogs
21-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #7

hi Alex
as far as im concerned if you feel that the kitten is not being treated properly do what you have todo because i missed out on a chance on doing this trying to save its life in away and i ended up seeing it getting run over. i was going to grab it and take it to my sisters but i left it all to late now i feel guilty because it would of been in a warm and caring home instead it as either been put to sleep or taken to some rescue place. do what your heart tells you only you know its right.
tracy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #8

I would got for it too Alex, something I did a few years ago, similar situation...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
22-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #9

I have made up my mind to do somethig about this, but at the moment I need to wait on my friend coming back from her sister with a reply. If they decide they dont want it, then I will re-revaluate then and come up with another course of action. I would love to take it on myself but OH would have a fit, lol, so I will probably just feed it on a regular basis instead and try to provide a little shelter somewhere in my garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #10

Quite a dilemma, but if you really do feel he/she is neglected, then I would say fo for it!