Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 cat
22-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #1

Cat not had a bowel movement!! Please advise!

Hi

Could anyone offer any advice to me regarding my cat?
I have an indoor 2 year old female cat, called Grace. She has not had a bowel movement for over a week now, possibly longer as I thought my husband had been emptying her little parcels of joy out of the litter but he hadnt and neither had I, so this may have been going on for longer!
She is eating and drinking normally, playing and simply acting her usual self. We have not changed her food/diet either. Shes not showing any signs of ill health, nethertheless we took her to see the vet They told us she did not feel constipated and said there was no evidence of any problems!
The vet asked whether Grace could be going elsewhere in the home.....so myself and my hubbie went on a poo search (even though we know we would have smelt it should she have been going in the house somewhere!)
We found nothing. Grace is still weeing in her litter tray and we always make sure it is regularly cleaned for her.

I just wondered if anyone has had the same problem with their cat or if anyone can offer any advice?

We would be very grateful as I am getting very worried as surely it is not normal for a cat to be eating but not emptying her bowels!?

Please help anybody! Im very worried.

Thank you xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Re: Cat not had a bowel movement!! Please advise!

It does sound odd, but if your vet has examined her and not found her to be constipated, then I would say there is no evidence to suggest she needs to go. As you say though it is strange.

I used to find that liquid paraffin from the chemist worked for my old cat Merlin. He would lick it off my fingers and that usually worked after a couple of days.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

How very strange, I would have thought that if she hadnt had a poop in such a long time that the vet would have easily felt that she was impacted, after that length of time she would have shown signs of illness aswell.
Does she get out at all or is she strictly indoors?
When she goes to the tray to pee, does she show any signs of straining?
She surely must be doing it somewhere.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

That is unusual .... do you feed her wet or dry food?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
22-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

hmm.. that's Strange.
Oh that reminds me I have to go clean Felix's tray out almost forgot there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

She MUST be going somewhere or the vet would have found signs of constipation! You might try giving her some sardines in oil or tuna if she'll eat fish. Do you have any of the malt flavored hairball remedy gels like Petromalt? It aids in passing hairballs so might encourage movement. Also, years ago when my Siamese was constipated after eating a bird the vet told me to use a baby suppository .....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
23-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

like the others have said... she HAS to be going somewhere... she simply couldn't be eating a normal amount of food and behaving in a normal manner without either becoming constipated or going somewhere other than her tray... however some foods l produce less stool than normal AND the ones that they do produce are less odorous so you might not have smelt them... also if she is a little constipated.. and only done one or two little "messages" over a period of a few days they would be quite dry and they may not smell as much.

Chances are if she IS constipated and has gone outside the tray she will have chosen a place that is private where she is not going to be disturbed whilst she does her business... under beds in spare rooms... nice quiet wardrobes...you get the idea... you may have to play detective and follow her around to see what she is up to!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
23-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #8

It could be under the bath if your cat can get under the bath or maybe in your wardrobe you never know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

I think it might have to be Hunt The Poo!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #10