Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

What to do about Tabatha.

Tabatha is hyperthyroid and FIV positive. Her thyroid is uncontrolled and she is on 30 mg of vidalta a day. You can feel, what we (us and the vets) think is her thyroid and on one side it is heading towards her chest and I think it is starting to affect her because of the size of it, she is often wheezy.
I don't know whether to continue to increasing the meds, apparently there is no limit, or decide now to go for the op. I suppose the goitre will continue to grow anyway. Its just going to be such a hard descision to make because of her FIV as well. I'm not keen on the op anyway because so much can go wrong and with such a big goitre I would imagine it would be easy to damage the parathyroid, but what is the alternative. I have tested out the vet and he is willing to do the op, although concerned about her health issues, he did say they would need to be really careful about infection and I trust them totally. I know something could go wrong and wouldn't blame them, but it is so hard to know what to do. She's not terribly thin, but she gets and extra meal a day out supermarket food because it is full of calories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #2

Re: What to do about Tabatha.

sorry to hear about Tabathas problem, i don't realy have any advice but just wanted to say hope whatever you decide goes well for her.
I have heard about a treatment using radioactive iodine but don't know wether this would be suitable as i dont think it shrinks the goitre.
Our cat has recently been diagnosed and has started treatment on Felimazole

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #3

I am sorry to hear about Tabatha's goitre farthing but, like Shelley, I can't offer any advice. I am sure that you together with your vet will make the best decision for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #4

I'm so sorry too, and also no advice. I know you and your vet will do what is in her best interests, bless her. Do keep us posted .......

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #5

A wee update on Tabatha.
She has been very wheezy again, so I took her to the vet and discussed her growth with him. He had a good feel and doesn't think it is affecting her breathing at all, he is conscerned that the growth may be a malignant tumor and there isn't anything we can do for that. She was given a dose of antibiotic and a brochiodilator, and I had to repeat the injection at 2 day intervals for a week, she seems a lot better since the second injection, but I now don't know what to do next. Do I push to find out what kind of growth she has, does it matter if we can't do anything about it or if it isn't affecting her for just now. I am usually fairly certain of how to go on, but because for her conditions, I don't want to stress her out much or place her open to infection when she is so suseptable already.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #6

sorry to hear about Tabatha but glad to hear she has been better after the second injection. What was the injection for? If the vet doesn't think the growth is affecting her breathing , does he have a suggestion as to what is causing her to wheeze?
If there is nothing that can be done if the growth is malignant i can't see the point in putting Tabatha through an operation.
Our cat Jerry had a hole in the side of his face that wouldnt heal, we were pretty sure it was a cat bite but because it wouldnt heal it eventualy had to be cut out, the vet asked if we wanted the tissue sent off to see if it was some sort of growth, we declined because it wasn't an option for Jerry to have chemo etc.
Sometimes it is better to manage the condition

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #7

Sorry, the injections are antibiotics, which worries me too because she isolated from the others due to her having FIV and I'm concerned her immunity is dropping even futher.

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #8

How old is she farthing?

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #9

She's about 15.

Catsey Veteran