Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Going out for the first time

Good morning everyone 😀

We have decided as we now have a garden, we would like to let the monsters out to enjoy it. Harris has already been out for short periods and we lift him and brig him in after a little bit. Skye sits at the door but as soon as it open she runs back to the living room.

My query is what is the best way to start letting them out? I don't want them to stray too far either given harris recent health issues (which I have noted on his chip now) both chips are also updated with new address.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
09-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Re: Going out for the first time

Pamela, are you planning to just let them out freely? I can't give you any advice because my cats only go outside into a compound or when one of us is out there with them.I do know that your cats will adore being outside and enjoy all the new sights and smells.Personally if it was me, I'd let them out before feeding them and I would have the top of my fences netted outwards so they couldn't get over them. They would then have the whole back yard to explore but find it very difficult to get out.I totally understand your concern, especially with Harris. Netting our fences here isn't an option as Miracle is totally blind and Dickens is deaf so I cannot risk losing them. Also ,our street is quite busy at times.I do hope things will go well for your kitties ,Pamela, and you find a solution that suits you all. Good luck.