Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
29-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

My babies have cat flu.

Betsey-May, Dickens and Frederick all have cat flu. Betsey-May got it first and was given antibiotics from the vet. She is still sneezing slightly but but has finished the course of medicine.. THEN Dickens and Freddie started sneezing as well. They have the herpes virus and were given an antibiotic paste which is much easier than tablets.Dickens isn't so bad now, but poor Freddie had to be hospitalized at the vet because he had a very high temperature and was at risk of taking a seizure. NOW Snodgrass is unwell and is going to the vet tomorrow. He is not eating or drinking. The only one that is OK is Miracle. To make matters worse, we shifted yesterday and all my cats are terrified. They are hiding under the chairs and couch and won't come out at all. None have eaten or drunk anything since last night. I'm not sure if I should bring them out or just leave them for another day.I have to get Snoddy to the vet tomorrow anyway.Do you think I should forcibly remove them from their hiding places or just wait? Sorry to rave on but I really don't know what to do for the best. Food, water and litter boxes are all within easy reach, but all I'm hearing are frequent sneezes coming from under the furniture. Any suggestions anyone PLEASE?????????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Re: My babies have cat flu.

Aww no dinky x Poor babies x sending big hugs to them all xx Hope they are better soon x

Almost a Veteran Member

30-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks Pamela. They have all now come out from under the chairs and couch but continue to run back under at the slightest noise.Snodgrass went to the vet tonight as he has not eaten anything or had water since Saturday.The vet feels that Miracle ,my wee blind ex feral cat whom I rescued, is the carrier of the virus and she began shedding (?) the virus when she became stressed with all the furniture being moved out of the house. Strangely, Miracle is the only well cat. The vet has put all four sick kitties on a different antibiotic for a 3 week period.AND Snoddy scoffed down a whole tin of Salmon cat food when he came back from the vet's. I did have to hand feed him but at least he ate it. I could have kissed him, I was so relieved.
On a lighter note, Willow, my mastiff, cannot get up the stairs in this new place we have moved into. She managed to get to the middle landing and then got stuck. She panicked and ended up sliding backwards down to the ground.She is getting on in years and her arthritis is not good so I'm not going to let her try the stairs again. She will sleep downstairs on her bed on the floor and I will sleep on the couch beside her. She has always slept on my bed every night and I haven't the heart to let her sleep downstairs on her own. She would hate it.The couch is not very comfortable unfortunately and I have a feeling it's going to be a very long and trying 3 months or longer until we can return home. What we do for out animals !!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Its scary when they stop eating an ddrinking, thats 1 of the symptoms we have to watch for harris and know he is poorly.

Thats great that Snodgrass has ate some food, positive steps in the right direction.

Thats a wee shame that willow ant get up the stairs. Thats soo good you sleep on the couch with her. you say though, its amazing what we do fo uour animals x

Thats a shame they are so usettled just now. Mus be hard as they dont understand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Sorry to hear this, hope they are better soon.

My little Rosie had a touch of cat flu recently, but a course of antibiotics and she is much better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

I've had cat flu in the house before. The most recent bout caused herpes ulcers on Myshka's eyes so we have daily eye drops as well as 1/2 a tablet of human medicine which isn't covered by the NHS so I had to pay full whack (£140 for the course).

I hope your cats settle and feel better soon - stress will cause the herpes to flare up so I'm sure your situation with having to move house etc isn't helping them. Just try to keep everything as normal for them as possible x

Almost a Veteran Member

03-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your replies.All cats seem to be more settled now, thank goodness and are on medication for the next three weeks. All, but poor Snodgrass, are improving and are eating. They continue to sneeze but not as much. Snodgrass has ulcers all around his nose and in his mouth. He looks absolutely dreadful but is eating salmon if I hand feed it to him. The ulcers have not gone into his eyes and I'm watching him very closely. I am sleeping on a narrow couch, my dog is on a mattress on the floor beside me, and now Snodgrass has started lying on my chest each night to sleep.He has always slept on my bed beside me, but the couch is too narrow for him to do that, so unfortunately he lies on top of me and purrs away all night. I do so hope that cat flu isn't catching as the poor boy is constantly sneezing and snuffling. I haven't the heart to lock him away so I am resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get much sleep. The lovely queen size bed upstairs that I was going to sleep in, lies empty. At least I can see the funny side of the whole thing. !!!!!

Catsey Veteran

10-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

aww glad they are more settles Dinky, that must be reassuring for you that they are getting better x

Thats sweet that snodgrass sleeps on your chest, skye sleeps either on me or cuddled up right against me!!

Almost a Veteran Member

10-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

Thanks Pamela. Things seem to be improving for both you and me, thank goodness. Snodgrass is no longer sneezing, but still snuffles a bit and all cats continue on their medication for another few weeks yet, which is a bit of an ordeal to say the least. These pills cannot be given whole but must be crushed and mixed with a bit of food/butter etc. I now tend to mix with a wee bit of butter and smear the mixture all around each cat's mouth. Believe me, they spend ages licking it off, so must be getting it !!!. The little fiends are refusing to open their mouths now so this method is easier.

Your Skye must be very affectionate ,Pamela. It's actually very heart warming to share such a special bond with a pet That's why I am totally OK with Snoddy lying on top of me every night. The others are shut into a bedroom late at night to sleep, but Snoddy has always shared my bed.

You enjoy your day Pamela It's Saturday morning here .........YAY !!!!!

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #10

Skye is extremely affectionate with me, no one else. She will occassionally go to OH for a pet but will not sit with him the way she does with me. I call her at bed time and she comes running through to come to bed with me!

So glad your furries are doing well x still sending healing vibes to them x