Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
21-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

Cats and Collars

From my last post on Cat Related Chat when Jet went AWOL, I am considering putting a collar on her just to let people know she isint a stray.

I didnt get her until she was about 7 months old and have tried her in a collar, she looks so funny in it and she hated it around her neck, she kept managing to get it off.
Now she is over 3 years old am wondering if it is worth my while trying her in a collar again or is it like the old saying about old dogs and new tricks !!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: Cats and Collars

It may take a time for Jet to get used to wearing a collar as she is 3 years old but I have known neighbours of mine getting collars for their cats and they have got used to wearing them......their cats have been 5+. Why don't you start by just letting her get used to wearing it about the house first......maybe a couple of hours at a time?

You mention about wearing a collar to let people know she isn't a stray ......... is Jet microchipped, Andrew? She would stand more chance of being reunited with you if she were ever lost.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #3

Mine have always been indoor only so never had a collar problem; but if they did have outdoor access I would definitely have them microchipped and with a collar! She might object to it at first, but better safe than sorry......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
21-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #4

Patch doesn't have a collar because he hates them...well, the latest one we got him he didn't mind but he lost it somewhere

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
It may take a time for Jet to get used to wearing a collar as she is 3 years old but I have known neighbours of mine getting collars for their cats and they have got used to wearing them......their cats have been 5+. Why don't you start by just letting her get used to wearing it about the house first......maybe a couple of hours at a time?

You mention about wearing a collar to let people know she isn't a stray ......... is Jet microchipped, Andrew? She would stand more chance of being reunited with you if she were ever lost.

I do agree Mags, A collar is harder to get used to microchipping would eleviate the stress

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
24-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #6

I am always worryed the collar may get caught and the cat cant free itself..if Millie jumped down from somewere and was left hanging and could not get free I would never foregive myself..I think microchip is the best option

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
25-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #7

My girls were always good about having collars on - I tended just to buy supermarket ones but having read various threads about them, I think I will get one of the breakaway ones. I like Bubbles to have a reflective one at least just in case.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
25-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
My girls were always good about having collars on - I tended just to buy supermarket ones but having read various threads about them, I think I will get one of the breakaway ones. I like Bubbles to have a reflective one at least just in case.
You can get the breakaway ones from Morrisons and PAH I know that much

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #9

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/
This is where I get my cat collars from. They are the break away kind and I personalise them by having my phone number printed onto them.
Bernie's is a little worn now, so I really must get him a new one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/
This is where I get my cat collars from. They are the break away kind and I personalise them by having my phone number printed onto them.
Bernie's is a little worn now, so I really must get him a new one.
Oh cool thanks! I wanted to get some kind of ID thing for her (she's not chipped... yet).