Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
29-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #11

Re: Give them a choice or not bother?

My two went right off wet food. We tried to persist for a while, buying different, high quality food but they just left it. They've been eating only dry for about 18 months now and I'm not sorry. Dry food doesn't smell or go off if it's left down for a while. Their poo is firmer and less smelly, and they don't have sticky food clinging to their teeth.

I sometimes worry about a totally dry diet but they have plenty of water available and they drink it quite readily. I am trying to get them to eat some occasional raw (chicken wings) but no luck yet, they don't want to know!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #12

I have a cupboard full of different boxes of sachets of food - Whiskas, Felix and Iams. Merlin has always been a vomiter since a young kitten because he bolts his food too quickly. If he eats something and is sick, naturally it puts him off it, so I change to something else for a while and then go back. Don't you think cats get fed up of the same thing every day? My late cat Smudge (can you say "late" for a cat?) had trouble with her weight - something else I can identify with! - so she was on Iams light food for a terribly long time, unlike Merlin, she had no interest at all in human food/titbits or treats and seemed quite happy crunching away. Her teeth were in excellent condition!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #13

I feel quite lucky now, as our kitties have always been fond of dry food. (Though when Tiger was very ill before passing, she needed regular monitoring and encouragement to make sure that she ate anything.)

They get a small amount of wet food for breakfast, slightly larger amount for dinner - and always have a dish of dry food and a dish of water available. They eat the biscuits at their leisure, never scoffing them down.

I also buy them different brands of cat food, like the cute little gourmet tins, every couple of weeks as treat dinners. C: