Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #1

An uncertain future

Dawn, as I am sure many rescuers, has been hit hard this year with kitten season. There have been many tearfull nights chatting on the phone about all the pregnant mums and what the best course of action should be. Dawn has struggled long and hard with her decisions over whether terminating their pregnancies is the right thing to do or not. For many she struggled against her concience and did terminate alot of pregnancies which is heartbreaking for Dawn but the practicality is that she just doesnt have the room for them all, the finances, there simply arent enough homes to go round and lastly the stress to the feral mum of being caged for up to 10 or 11 weeks as well as whether she would be accepted back into the colony after that length of time.
This next one is heartbreaking, the mum was heavily pregnant and Dawn hadnt the heart to go through with the termination......
The result........

The mum gave birth to 6 kittens, 4 will be completely blind and 2 have one good eye each. They are holy terrors and full of life despite this but still may have further complications.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #2

Re: An uncertain future

Gosh how very sad I do hope that the kittens will have good qualities of life and suitable, loving homes can be found for them

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #3

It must be heartbreaking for Dawn and she must realise she cannot do everything for these poor cats. Even by terminating some of the pregnancies, she is giving the cat involved a lot better life so I don't think she should beat herself up too much about it Elaine. If it wasn't for you, many of us here wouldn't have known about the wonderful work that Dawn does and I admire her for her dedication...

Those poor little kittens ........maybe it is seeing cases like this that will make Dawn realise that by terminating some of the feral pregnancies may help cats like this and may not make her feel so upset about it.

Thanks for passing on the stories of these sad cases Elaine....

Catsey Veteran

29-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Gosh how very sad I do hope that the kittens will have good qualities of life and suitable, loving homes can be found for them
Its a waiting game at the moment, they apear healthy enough despite having impaired vision but there is still a chance that what ever caused them to be blind may flare up again.
Should they be ok healthwise they are to be rehomed in pairs which is the way Dawn likes it anyway. If no homes can be found then they will remain under Dawns care.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

I met several rescuers in and around Dawns area. I had no true idea of the extent of the problems with homeless cats and kittens until this week. Ofcourse I knew it was a big problem because Dawn and I talk often and I read Smudgleys posts as well as others on other forums, but to see it with your own eyes really brings the message of spey and neuter. Alot of ferals belonged to some one at some point

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
30-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #6

Sounds like you've had an eye-opener of a week, Elaine. I guess that until we all see it with our own eyes it's hard to imagine.

I think that Dawn does a wonderful job and that she has no choice but to terminate some or all of the pregnancies.

I do hope that these kittens are given a clean bill of health and can be re-homed.

(it's good to have you back btw! )

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #7

Thanx Charlie xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #8

Poor Dawn, it must be heartbreaking for her to have to make those decisions, but I hope in the end she realises that what she is doing is best for the cat that is already there! I hope those little babies find wonderful new homes!

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #9

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
02-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #10

such a sad story must be heartbreaking having to see that on a daily basis. i would love to be a fosterer at some point but i know how hard that would even be for me because i get so attached so quickly that id never want any if them to leave. i have so much respect for anyone who works with rescue animals.

these babies are absolutely gorgeous though. i will be keeping my fingers crossed that they are given a clean bill of health so purrfect homes can be found for them.