Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Alfie - little tubby!

Hi all,

Alfie was castrated three weeks ago just as he came up to 6 months old, he loves his food, he was a lovely well built little thing when I had him at 7 and a half weeks and he s certainly rounded out since! The vet advice sheet actually had an asterisk with watch for weight gain now he s been castrated which I have never received in the past with umpteen cats! So I guess they can see he loves his food too... anyway, he s on two meals a day now, a few treats (well it is Christmas/New Year!) but I guess I am going to have to monitor him from now on. One good thing, he won t eat the other cats food at all, very good there. He s an indoor cat too so apart from running up and down the stairs when he s on a "mad one" as we call it, he obviously does nt go out to prowl. Any advice? Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
01-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

Re: Alfie - little tubby!

What type of food does he eat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #3

Jan,
there are lots of toys and cat gym type things that you can get for indoor cats. Also if he reacts to cat nip, that can encourage play.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #4

My Kizzy did have a weight problem at one point but I found that weighing her food in accordance with the recommended portion size on the food bag did help enormously and then we got Pip kitten and she's not had trouble with being over weight since. I am thinking though that Pip may be over weight .... he is a very active lad though and I'm hoping that he'll lose it in the Spring!!! Good luck with Alfie, do let us know how you get on with him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #5

He sounds adorable, have you any photos of him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
02-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

My Kuan Yin was a bit pudgy at one time but I have since switched all my cats to canned food only and added Solomon as a playmate to the household and she has trimmed down nicely

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #7

Canned food only really slimmed my cats down as well and they have kept well on that diet. Plus, much better for kidney and urinary tract health and reduces risk of diabetes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #8

Leia has stayed at the same weight for years on tinned only with just a sprinkling of dry; she's a very sedentary cat and aside from the occasional mad dash about the house, takes a dim view of exercise ....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #9

Hya all,

interestingly Alfie tends to have half a pouch now morning and night - a pouch if he seems really hungry, well below the recommended guidelines of kitten food, and his dried food which he adores. (Kitten). I tend to be quite liberal with that as he came to me already loving that particular treat and he does drink water unlike my other cats. In fact if I give him just the pouch he looks at me to say where s the proper stuff and looks quite disgusted! He has loads of toys, I find plenty of other stuff to give him to encourage him to play (carrier bags, paper, even a bauble off the tree at the moment, boxes to climb in) he has activity centres but he is just a chubby little build, solid I suppose. Will take some more photo s soon. He is now as big as my Maisie who is a small female. Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Hi Jan - I would suggest that you just reduce his dried food. The pouches are fine, but the dried, especially kitten variety has loads of protein and he probably doesn't need it all! Don't mean to be mean, but it may just be the quantity.