Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggie
16-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #1

Adivice Needed

Hi Guys

I have a question concerning my eldest, Chip.

Both my cats are fed well and are in great body condition. I feed them Microwaved white fish fillets in the morning for breakfast, and they have a pouch of felix each in the evening for dinner. Ontop of that they have a bowl of whiskers dry food out all day for them to snack on inbetween when they fancy it.

In the last week or so Chip has began scavanging for more food and I have caught him several times up on the kitchen counters nosing around. I've also had a lot of presents from him including a live rat that he dropped in the kitchen.

We are going through a cold snap at the moment and I was wondering if this increased need for food has something to do with that.

Dales eating habits have remained normal and Chip has always had a very healthy appatite anyway so hopefully I won't have anything to worry about.

I would also like to point out that Chip isn't losing weight as I have checked every day.

Do you guys have any idea's on this sudden need to feed.

Any adivice would be helpful.

Thanks in advanced

PS Sorry for any spelling errors

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
16-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Re: Adivice Needed

I don't know how old Chip is, that might be a significant issue if there are any health problems accounting for his sudden increase in appetite. One thing springs to mind though, has he been wormed recently? If he's into "takeaway meals" (ie rats etc) he's more likely to pick up parasites. I'd take him to the vet in any case for a checkover to be honest if I were you, hope he's ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

Yes, I'd think about the worming issue first .... but it could simply be because his activity has increased and he is hunting more and getting hungrier because of that. A mouse can't be all that filling!

16-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Sorry I forgot to mention, I worm both my cats every three months and anything he brings back is usually alive and genrelly unharmed.

Thank you for the advice guys. I think for now i'm just going to keep an eye on him as he seems to be in good health. But if I see any changes in his state of being or further changes in behaviour I shall take him straight to the vets.

Thanks again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

It could be possible that the cold weather is making Chip want to eat more (i know the feeling,lol )
Another thing could be an overactive thyroid, i noticed my older cat was always asking for food but just put it down to being a cat, ie if owner goes in the kitchen, scream for food.
However he was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism when he went for a dental op.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

How old is Chip? My advice would be, if you are at all worried then maybe a trip to the vet would be wise, if for no other reason it may help put your mind at ease.

19-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #7

Chip turned 3 this October.

Thanks again for the advice guys, Just to be on the safe side I phoned my vet and he explained that sometimes in unusaly cold weather considering the climate animals, especialy cats and dogs, tend to increase their food intake to battle the cold. He didn't think there is anything wrong with chip as he has always been a healthy cat but he told me to keep an eye on him anyway just in case which I am doing.

Chips actually settled down and return to his normal eating habits thankfully.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
20-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #8

In cases of hyperthyroidism, as well as being unusuallly & often constantly hungry, cats would also lose weight. So if Chip's weight is constant I think it's unlikely to be hyperthyroidism. Anyway, he would be very young to be suffering from that.

I think your vet is right ~ the cold weather is more likely to be the reason for increased appetite. He's just increasing his insulation.