Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #1

Dry Food advice

What is the best age to transfer kittens onto adult food?

I have heard some differing advice from 6 months onwards or some will say wait until they are at least 12 months?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Re: Dry Food advice

No experience with this; when I got Misty at 5 months, I wasn't aware that she should have been on kitten food; she ate my adult's food and lived to 19 1/2. I knew better when I got Dandy years later: but he preferred and ate the adults food and they both loved his kitten food, so I just gave up and let him eat what he wanted. I know it's important as kittens have different requirements, but it didn't seem to hurt my two any.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

Thats good news then as ive found a sensitive dry food that agrees with Tim except its for adults, this firm dont do sensitive for kittens they will still get their wet kitten food

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Any fosters I have had, have always prefered adult food...they would leave the kitten biscuits and pinch the big boys food!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #5

Yes, I still have uneaten kitten food in the cupboard ..... Pip much preferred adult food but the kitten variety is meant to have a higher protein level ........ but as we know really it's down to what your cat likes and will eat!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #6

I only fed mine kitten food from a few weeks even Tiger's kittens wouldn't really bother with it they wanted Tiger's food.