Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #1

Applaws Cat Food

After hearing about this dry food I went into PAH and bought a bag of it, standing at the cheque out idilly chatting to the sales assistant [he had put the Applaws through] he mentioned that they PAH were going to discontinue Applaws dog food - er come again. I asked him where they going to continue to stock the Applaws Cat Food but he didnt know whether they were going to or not

So folks - does anyone know is it just PAH that are going to stop keeping the Dog food or are the company actually stopping production of the dog food and more importantly the Cat Food?

I have to admit on the way round the dog section I had looked to see what range of Dog Food Applaws did and was a bit shocked to see the price. I wouldnt want to change the dogs anyway as they are both doing well on what they are on. Maybe the high cost of the food has determined its sale or lack of it??

Now I am in a bit of a quandry - do I start to change the kittens over onto the bag of Applaws I have or not, I dont want to change them onto a food that will no longer be readily available although I could order online - just so long as we could get it. I must admit though I do prefer to buy over the counter.

Any thoughts anyone?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #2

Re: Applaws Cat Food

The straight answer Velvet is I have no idea! Mine aren't keen on Applaws (apart from the little tins!) I have only bought 1 bag.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

I think i will give a mix of Hills & Applaws. For a while i kept getting freebie samples of the Hills. At least that way if one does go out of production, they can be weaned onto the other. Tim doesnt get that much kibble anyway. Amber likes it & will happily munch away, think the crunchy texture appeals to her. on the whole they get more wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
27-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

I bought applaws for the first time on Sunday. Jessie ate one pot and was violently sick all night, that was all she had eaten and was fine afterwards, Ill steer clear.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

My Balie quite likes the Applaws wet food - very 'real' chicken/fish like . . . it's one of the few things he will eat with gusto. I haven't tried the dry food; have stuck to RC persian almost exclusively and am happy to continue to do so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
27-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #6

I give mine a variety of wet and dry foods just now. Trying not to make them too fussy. Not used applaws dry, but they love the small wet tubs.

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #7

I don't believe Applaws wet food is complete food - just throwing this in the mix in case peeps are not aware.

Yes, it looks and smells wonderful and mine like the chicken ones - as a treat they are fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

That's true Angie, but I have to try and get what I can down Balie to keep his weight up . . . if he won't eat a complete food but only his biscuits I have to do my best to 'bulk him up' somehow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

Isn't Encore (which you can buy in Sainsburys) the same as Applaws ?? sure I read somewhere that it is.

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
That's true Angie, but I have to try and get what I can down Balie to keep his weight up . . . if he won't eat a complete food but only his biscuits I have to do my best to 'bulk him up' somehow!
Absolutely Yola. It was a general comment really. Sometimes it's not clear when a cat food isn't a "complete" food.

Merlin had all sorts of things that weren't strictly "good" for him - but it's the eating part that takes on a larger importance when our friends need to be tempted.