Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #11

Re: Food choices

It is only recently that i have begun to take more notice of whats in petfood and to read labels. Previous to this i must admit to believing it was a good food if the company was well known.
I am more knowledgable now but our boys just love Felix and Jerry refuses other foods. Tom is a bit more adventurous and enjoys some of Malaika's raw food when she has it. They have a bowl of dry in the morning but always have plenty of water down.
A point Elaine has made about Cats nor being drawn to water has made me think. Malaika's breeder told us always to soak her kibble and never give it dry as she could become dehydrated. Basenjis don't drink a lot. Previously i have always fed kibble dry but nearly always soak it now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #12

That's really interesting about the Basenjis not drinking. Didn't they originate in North Africa in the same area that the progenitors of our domestic cats? I seem to remember reading that there were Basenjis pictured on the tomb walls of some Pharaohs as well as cats. Maybe both being from semi-arid places is why they are neither big water drinkers as a rule .....???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
That's really interesting about the Basenjis not drinking. Didn't they originate in North Africa in the same area that the progenitors of our domestic cats? I seem to remember reading that there were Basenjis pictured on the tomb walls of some Pharaohs as well as cats. Maybe both being from semi-arid places is why they are neither big water drinkers as a rule .....???
They originated in central Africa, Eileen. The Congo basin, one of their names is Congo Dogs.
They were in Egypt also and have been depicted in tombs.
The breed are very much unchanged from ancient times.
It is an interesting theory about the water drinking, cats and basenjis.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #14

I don't think we can really judge what people feed their animals, even food classed as junk by many has all the nutrients required to keep a cat healthy. Lets face it cats are living longer and longer and diet as well as improved vet skills and general care must play a part in it.
Only recently have I really considered what I feed and after a lot of reading decided to fed only wet food with a high meat content. I chose Hi-life because it was affordable and had no gluten- I wanted to try Candy on a gluten free diet due to her IBD. It has worked for me and luckily the cats love it- its also easier for the toothless oldies to eat a wet food.
We all do what we can for our animals and I think it is important to have different opinions, its the only way we will learn.